Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New computer advice for basic AVCHD editing

Default New computer advice for basic AVCHD editing

Just bought my first HD camcorder, and now need a new computer for editing the AVCHD files. I plan on using Sony Vegas Platinum Studio 10 for the software. Would this computer be suffice for editing and burning the HD footage: HP - Refurbished Pavilion Desktop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - p7-1267c

From my research it seems to have what I would need except for the Graphics card. I am not sure what problems I would run into using this stock card. Any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated.

I use an Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz with 4GB ram so the one you are looking at would have no problems, I don't know anything about the requirements of the Vegas program but can't see it being any problem, some will allow you to use proxy files to do the editing, but I find as long as I don't rush the scrubbing along the time line it's fine without it. I'm using Magix Edit Pro 17 Plus gives excellent results at good price and handles mixed video files from a variety of cameras without complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
    Just bought my first HD camcorder, and now need a new computer for editing the AVCHD files. I plan on using Sony Vegas Platinum Studio 10 for the software. Would this computer be suffice for editing and burning the HD footage: HP - Refurbished Pavilion Desktop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - p7-1267c

From my research it seems to have what I would need except for the Graphics card. I am not sure what problems I would run into using this stock card. Any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated.

I used to use a core duo with 3gb ram, it was terrible, so last week I bought an i5 3GHz with 4GB ram from Dell the DELL OUTLET who do refurbished DELL computers, and I use Pinnacle studio 15 HD, I have used Pinnacle for 15+ years, believe me a quad core will mean a great difference to a duo

You can reduce the preview quality in Vegas which should negate the need for a better more powerful computer BUT I agree with JR1, a quad core i7 would be better, it will give your editing experience a boost. Although Sony Vegas can now take advantage of the graphics card power, I'm not sure it has fully done this yet, so having a really powerful graphics card may not be such an issue with the version of Vegas that you have. You can if you find you need to create proxy files to over come any frailties with your system during editing.

hi all
    i know nothing about this (in fact, if i knew nothing that would be a start)....
    i have a sony cx-730 HD video camera but have no idea how to edit the video. when i play the video on a tv from the camera via a HDMI cable, its fantastic. When i burn a dvd, it comes out very "steppy"... someone told me my PC isnt up to it, another told me the software was rubbish and another told me that i have to convert the format prior to burning.....
    Please help me i really need some basic advise and software hints...
    kindest regards
    david

I suppose telling use your PC specs would help. It could simply be that your system needs some house keeping. Or turning off background programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I suppose telling use your PC specs would help. It could simply be that your system needs some house keeping. Or turning off background programs.

sorry, yes....

HP IQUK
    intel core 2 duo CPU
    t7250 200GHz 2.00GHz
    4.00 GB
    64_bit opp system

does this shed any light???

regards
    david

It's like baking a cake, you need need to know the ingredients, how long you cook it for, what you do at each stage, how long does each stage take, All information found in a cook-book.

So as Midnight said

PC Specification
    What software are you using? Is it the same software that you are using to burn a DVD?
    What file format comes off the camera and any other settings information you can give? Do you know what resolution the video is?
    What settings are you using in the editor, Then what settings are you using when burning a DVD.

When you say you burn a DVD do you mean a BluRay or are you creating a standard definition DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    It's like baking a cake, you need need to know the ingredients, how long you cook it for, what you do at each stage, how long does each stage take, All information found in a cook-book.

So as Midnight said

PC Specification
    What software are you using? Is it the same software that you are using to burn a DVD?
    What file format comes off the camera and any other settings information you can give? Do you know what resolution the video is?
    What settings are you using in the editor, Then what settings are you using when burning a DVD.
    the Pc spec is above,
    i was using AVS video editor (trial only)
    dvd burner is on the same software
    AVCHD 17M (FH)

other than that, ive no idea....... can you recommend a suitable software i can learn on??
    do i nedd to upgrade pc??

regards
    david

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast