Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did they use greenscreen on this news item?

Default Did they use greenscreen on this news item?

I have my own opinion but I'd like to hear yours, do you see anything suss about this video (eg. green screen usage):

A Complete 911 Harley Shirt Guy Scene -911 Actor Mark Humphrey Is -FOX Freelancer- -Mark Walsh - YouTube

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCBOJ2Jruk4" target="_blank">

The quality is too poor to be able to tell if there was anything suspect. I've seen better versions of this and there isn't any video trickery going on. I do feel the guy is a media plant. Who really talks like that. "Probably due to structural failure".

What part of the video did you think was suspect ?

Blog Entries

It's Fox News, so they almost certainly got someone to quickly pretend to be a witness in front of the camera. Unfortunately in doing so they added fuel to the Conspiracy Theorists and other 911 nutters.

No green screen, just a young man trying to earn a few dollars.

Hi guys the longer version seems lower quality than the short version. Here is the highest quality short version: I could find. There must be a higher quality version though judging from this screen cap someone made:

WTC: Strange witness. - YouTube
    Last edited by lobo; 06-14-2012 at 11:31 AM.

No green screen was used in the making of this report. Why would they go to that trouble when it's not necessary, they just got the guy to stand on the street and he played his part saying his scripted lines perfectly. They even admit he's "a Fox freelancer"

What makes you think this was shot using a green screen ? The green bits you have pointed out in your picture is nothing to do with green screens, it doesn't work like that. There is no such thing as green screen shadowing, at least not in the way that you are thinking. What you're seeing is just some sort of bad compression artifact. It doesn't appear on the sample video in either of your new links.

I agree with MB. Because its a poor quality copy could be that the green has bled. This effect used to be more common in the early days of video,as Green is a primary colour. Typical dramatized interview, Good PR for Fox. Bet Jo Public loved it.

Blog Entries

Ockhams's Razor.

The simplest solution nearly always turns out to be the right one.

The easiest solution in this case is for the reporter,to ask someone on the street whom he knows. The witness then says what he saw.

If (and only if) this is a set-up, which I doubt, then it's likely that the reporter, on the scene, getting hassle from the studio, desperate for an eye witness, says to the intern "Okay, stand in front of the camera and pretend you saw what happened".

The more difficult version would be to film footage from a hand-held camera, without anyone getting in the way, in a disaster scenario, with a camera movement and zoom, such that a reporter of unknown height with a witness of unknown height can be seamlessly inserted later. Then to reproduce the lighting, camera angle, height, movements and zoom, in real time (it was transmitted "live" on the day, don't forget) and get it right.

Which one is the more likely?

As for the "green shadow" absolute rubbish.

edit: If you look in the internet about this clip and ignore the 911 conspiracy weirdos, it seems most likely that this bloke is a genuine witness. He is a freelancer for Fox, he lives in the area and he is a bit of a media junkie who is always on radio talk-in shows. In other words, the sort of guy who would gladly jump in front of a camera at the slightest excuse and talk, talk, talk...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-14-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Blog Entries

I haven't read any of the conspiricy theorists, but even more basic than Rob's point - why would Fox bother faking an interview with an eyewitness who said exactly the same as all the other eye witnesses?
    Tim

What makes you think this was shot using a green screen ? The green bits you have pointed out in your picture is nothing to do with green screens, it doesn't work like that. There is no such thing as green screen shadowing, at least not in the way that you are thinking. What you're seeing is just some sort of bad compression artifact. It doesn't appear on the sample video in either of your new links.
    Hi the screencap was not taken by me. You are right it doesn't appear in the sample video (nor does FAV KTVU appear in the sample video). I will try to track that video down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Ockhams's Razor.

The more difficult version would be to film footage from a hand-held camera, without anyone getting in the way, in a disaster scenario, with a camera movement and zoom, such that a reporter of unknown height with a witness of unknown height can be seamlessly inserted later. Then to reproduce the lighting, camera angle, height, movements and zoom, in real time (it was transmitted "live" on the day, don't forget) and get it right.
    Hi about overlaying a greenscreen actor on a handheld camera footage at location, with isssues of seemless perspective and keeping the space free, what about these interviews? Do you think that technique was used there:

Bluescreen Assassins - Ozzy bin Oswald - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast