Thread: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Export Settings For great quality For "You Tube"/"Vimeo"??

Smile Sony Vegas Movie Studio Export Settings For great quality For "You Tube"/"Vimeo"??

Hi Guys

I have a question about "Sony Vegas Movie Studio" export settings for uploading videos (good quality) to “You Tube” and other sites video sharing sites like Vimeo.

Presently I am using WMM 2.1 and have tried every export setting and tested side by side on you tube.

WMM2.1 has 2 basic export settings:
    DV-AVI(PAL) – Least compressed
    WMV – Varying degrees of compression

All the other choices are different types of WMV. I have tried them all (a lot!!!)
    And I even went to www.pappajohn.org who is a WMM expert/legend (Microsoft (MVP) to get his free special “You Tube” specific export templates, which are again highly compressed WMV files.

Now after all my tests including Pappa Johns specific You tube export settings …for me the best by a fair way (quality wise) is when I export as:

(DV-AVI) (PAL)??

This is the export setting I used for all my test videos by the way.

Now I appreciate this is the biggest file and least compressed so it should be better
    But I also appreciate that You Tube will take it and compress it to meet their specific standards anyway.

Must point out the file size is not a issue for me with regards storing video files at home and also the time to upload to “ You Tube” I am after the best quality not the best in terms of saving storage space at the expense of quality!!

Now my good old mate has just got a trail version of Vegas Movie Studio for me on his really good P.C to compare the export settings that Vegas Movie Studio has for me to compare on “You Tube” with my WMM2.1 DV-AVI (Pal) present export setting I am using.

This will be good for me to know for the future when I can get a new P.C that will run Vegas properly compared to my old one.

Now guys there are so many different export settings in “Vegas Movie Studio” under “Render” and to be honest it is all gobbledegook to me !!!

So my first question is

1 - Will “Sony Vegas Movie Studio” ‘s export settings out perform my WMM2.1 DV-AVI export settings I am using now in terms of quality for online uploading/viewing (You Tube/Vimeo) ?

2- Out of all the export settings in ”Vegas Movie Studio” which is the best to go for if I want the best quality for uploading to You Tube/Vimeo etc and if I am not bothered about file size and upload time???

Oh yea …..My videos are shot on my Panasonic NVGS-400 mini DV Camcorder (PAL)

25fps
    1/50 ss
    16:9 ratio
    30 mbps
    720 by 576 pixels

Thank guys you will save me so much wasted time as I will have to try all of them otherwise to see for myself.

Much appreciated

Last edited by slimbob; 06-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.

I don't think you can beat DV-AVI for quality with your set up but the file sizes are a bit large for up load. I use mpeg2 for better quality but of smaller file sizes I find the .wmv files to be fine for me. Just use the standard templates for your resolution. The Flower Duet and the Dark Skies videos that I did are .wmv files but in HD.

Hi MB
    Thanks for advice.

Yes it is amazing how much better my footage looks when played on my P.C direct compared to uploaded and watched on "You Tube" the blue background curtain and whole video is much better ....... you have never seen it as you have only seen my video uploaded to you tube.

what a pain !!!

I wish i could get that quality on "You tube" but everyone is in the same boat....

MB you say to use a standard template for my resolution ?
    well my camera is shooting at 720 by 576
    I cant see anything there for that

its all things like AVCHD ?????
    BLUERAY????
    MEMORY STICK??
    INTERNET???

I suppose if my DV-AV(PAL) won't be bettered regardless of which Vegas Setting I use I can always stick with that approach.

A 10 minute video is 2 gig (DV-AVI)
    Most of my video uploads to You Tube will be between 3 and 6 minutes so I am safely within You Tubes maximum length and file size guidelines.

I appreciate you use Vegas Pro so you will have different/better export settings menu to the cheaper "Vegas Movie Studio."

Anymore advice on helping me chose the best setting to experiment with ???

when I search templates to match aspect ratio it recommends
    AVCHD - 1920 1080 - 60i
    Blueray - 1920 1080 -60i

but mine is 720 by 576?

On the .wmv format, Save as type choose Windows Media Video V11, then pick the 5Mb 720 25p template. Now if you click on the custom button and select the video tab there is an option to "keep original size". This should keep the same size as your original footage and render it out at a good quality bit rate with a very reasonable file size. That's if you want to use .wmv format.

If you want an DV .avi file select Video for Windows (.avi) and choose the PAL DV Widescreen template. (You don't have to do this next step but I would). Click on the custom button and change the field order to None (Progressive scan).

This should give you a nice quality video but the file size will be bigger than a .wmv

There are lots of different opinions on how to render the best quality setting for YouTube and these are just some of mine. So people will tell you .mp4 is best and may be it is but I just don't use it.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks MB

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If you want an DV .avi file select Video for Windows (.avi) and choose the PAL DV Widescreen template. (You don't have to do this next step but I would). Click on the custom button and change the field order to None (Progressive scan).
    Hi MB

I have rendered using your guidelines and presently uploading to you tube to compare along with my WMM DVAVI .

One thing with regards the video for windows (avi) PAL DV Widescreen??

I can't seem to find the custom button????
    I am using "Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11" -Not platinum-

So I can't change field order to none ???????

I have rendered without this final option but as you recommended it i would like to do this....... not sure if the version of Sony Vegas I am using gives you that option???

Please advise

I've never used the HD or the Platinum versions of Vegas, so I'm not sure what options you have. I keep forgetting there's a reason it's around £50 and the pro version is much more expensive. De-interlacing the video is not really needed. How did it look when you played it on your computer before uploading ?

See Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite Product Comparisons
    No customizable render templates in basic VMStudio version.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I've never used the HD or the Platinum versions of Vegas, so I'm not sure what options you have. I keep forgetting there's a reason it's around £50 and the pro version is much more expensive. De-interlacing the video is not really needed. How did it look when you played it on your computer before uploading ?
    It looked fine
    The wmv version was a bit washed out but was full screen
    The DV pal widescreen AVI lookes the same quality as WMM2.1 (DV-AVI) PAL but it uploaded at 4:3 ???? I def choose the widescreen option????

The DV - AVI whether WMM2.1 or Vegas Movie studio definitely looks the best though

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    See Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite Product Comparisons
    No customizable render templates in basic VMStudio version.

Thanks for the input VK