Thread: Cheap audio capture solution required

Blog Entries

Default Cheap audio capture solution required

The Mrs put me forward for filming one of her mate's weddings in the next few weeks (we'll be guests). Money is tight for me, and I've never really had to worry about audio before... Anyone got any cheap solutions for recording audio (using a dslr, and wary I won't pick up the vows and speeches).

A cheap clip on mic recorded directly onto an iPhone is about the cheapest solution I know of.

I just bought 5x lavs for a fiver from amazon. Let me know if you want the link.

@mb that's not actually as straight forward as you make it sound.

Blog Entries

Thanks both. Link me up! Could get used to having days off to browse the internet!

@mb that's not actually as straight forward as you make it sound
    Life never is. lol

I saw an old pro soundy talking about doing it in a . I've never actually tried it so I don't know about the practicalities of actually doing it.

I've just re-viewed the video and he doesn't use an iPhone. He used a cheap mp3 recorder. I must be getting my wires crossed with another video. I don't know what the issue is with recording on an iPhone is unless it's the length of recordings limit. HERE's a free app that makes it sound simple.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 06-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Life never is. lol

I saw an old pro soundy talking about doing it in a . I've never actually tried it so I don't know about the practicalities of actually doing it.

I've just re-viewed the video and he doesn't use an iPhone. He used a cheap mp3 recorder. I must be getting my wires crossed with another video. I don't know what the issue is with recording on an iPhone is unless it's the length of recordings limit. HERE's a free app that makes it sound simple.

irig (and its sister) are generally considered the easiest way to record direct to an iphone

IK Multimedia iRig Pre Microphone Interface for iOS Devices at Gear4Music.com

iRig Mic Handheld Microphone for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad

probably not ideal for the above situation also taking into account mark might not use use an iphone

a cheap alternative is the voice recorder you mention....

Ive had usable reults from a Sony dictaphone (mp3 audio at 256mbs) with a lav attached.... just remember to press record !

again not ideal for weddings but as a cheap digital recorder .... not bad at all

probably a good idea to aproach the vicar and record some stuff the month before so you can lear the pitfalls. These days many churches will have microphones . . so it's only the B&G that won't be miced up - you can add that later, but if the church is in a quiet backwater there may be sufficient gain in the AGC to pick up clear speech. No-one expects Studio quality...and there will be coughs and the whirl from the Organ blower, etc.

Better to give it a try beforehand.... + you might find the vicar isn't too keen on V-recordings so you're off the hook!

As yr misses suggested it . . let her operate the boom.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    probably a good idea to aproach the vicar and record some stuff the month before so you can lear the pitfalls.
    ...Could you please introduce me to a vicar who would be willing to spend an hour of his day recording content to cover my backside in case I foul up the big day? I'd love to meet him