Thread: My second full length Nature Documentary

Default My second full length Nature Documentary

I have completed my second Educational Video and this particular one is an Environmental Documentary on a 'Winter Stonefly Search' in Michigan to determine stream health. Enjoy and please don't be too critical but constructive criticism is most valued. Check it out here: Stonefly Search

I didn't have time to watch it all but what I did see seemed ok. I think you should have cut the first interview sooner. It seems you just took all the interview footage and didn't even trim the end of it before it got into a bit of a waffle, rather than information.

The subject matter seemed very dull to me but that's not really an issue of the video, I'm sure those who are interested in the subject will want to watch it all the way through. You have to be dedicated to film in those temperatures so well done for doing that.

Blog Entries

A with your other film the sound is all over the place in the stereo mix. It sounds like for much of it you've used a mono mic which is recording on one channel only. This is perfectly normal, but what you should do is pan it to the centre when you edit. the only reason to have a narration/interview panned left or right is if that matches what we see on the screen.

I'm sure you had 1001 things to think about when filming, but the composition of the first interview was a bit odd. Try to get the interviewer either totally on screen or totally off screen. It was distracting having just the front 1/4 of her face. As the interview progresses both interviewr and interviewee move across the screen to a nicely framed shot! well done for using a mic properly so we catch clearly what is being said. And watch the edit. you cut the thanks off mid syllable!

As Midnight has alluded to above, you should cut out anything that is irrelavant. There is an embassasing section at around 16:50 where the interviewer puts the interviewee on the spot by trying to get him to repeat something he can't remember and then feeds him his line. Sure this happens all the time, but it should be left out of the edit because (a) it makes the interviewee look less sure of himself, his facts etc and (b) it makes it look like the interviewer is leading him, feeding him answers.

Sorry but I only skimmed through it.
    Tim

I guess I have not mastered this editing thing as of yet but I thoroughly enjoy working with video and all its elements...thank you for the constructive criticism!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baetis View Post
    I guess I have not mastered this editing thing as of yet
    LOL. I suspect anyone who thinks they have mastered editing is only just beginning,
    But keep enjoying it. I find it great fun (when I'm interested in teh subject I'm editing, anyway)
    Tim