Thread: This should be simple to do, but I can't figure it out

Default This should be simple to do, but I can't figure it out

I have a number of clips from my DSLR (Nikon D800), which are too long. I wish to pre-trim them before importing them into PP CS6. For instance, I may have a sixty second clip where I tried a slider move several times before I got it right. I don't want to import the full sixty seconds with several poor slider moves, only the five second move that I want to keep. Once imported into PP CS6, the clips remain their original length, even if I trim them on the timeline, and keep only a portion for the program. This creates storage problems as the files are quite large.

How do I go about pre-trimming the original clips? The only way I've been able to find so far is to trim them in the camera, but it is too late for that.

Thanks for any assistance you guys can render.......

There are simple basic programs such as quicktime on the mac or Vdub on PC that let you just trim clips, it would be one solution.

Have you thought of this it may be of use if you can spare the space while editing but just want to retrieve it later. Premiere has an excellent project manager that you could look into, you can create your edits then create an archive version of the project and media at the end. They call it a Trim Project, it creates a new set of source clips trimmed to the durations you use, you can tell it to only use the clips which have been referenced on the edit and it will trim them down for you and you can tell it to give handles incase you want to go in a make some adjustments at a later date.

Check this out:

Archiving Your Projects: The Project Manager

David.

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks a lot, David. I had Quicktime 7 on my machine, but it didn't support edits. Just playback. So I purchased Quicktime Pro, and it does the trick.

Thanks again for responding.

Steve