Thread: Duo Tone - A Short Sci-Fi Thriller

1. Default Duo Tone - A Short Sci-Fi Thriller

A man is chased by an unknown enemy, as he tries to evade this mysterious enemy little does he know that there is no escape.

Hope you all like it. Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks

This seem quite well shot and put together. It has all the right elements but it seems like just a section of a larger movie. Let me know when it's all put together.

For me it was an excellent job.

I know you were trying for Jake Gyllenhaal in Source Code but I would go for Franka Potente in Run Lola Run, like this:

- cue the pounding techno track
    - keep your first chase sequence as is, but don't show the computer lady
    - film another sequence that starts the same way but now there is a twist; perhaps our hero confronts the evil-doer and we learn something about their plight
    - now show the computer lady
    - film a third sequence that starts the same way but our hero somehow manages to change the outcome (e.g. makes friends with the bad guy)
    - the computer lady bashes at her screen in despair
    - cut, print and wrap

Blog Entries

I does seem rather like a section of a bigger movie, but I'm guessing this is complete.
    Nice action scene with some suspense and I liked the computer mock up. Very clear what was going on. Sci-fi looking without being cartoony or game-like.
    Whilst the music track was appropriate, I think I'll go mad if I hear that scraping crescendo glissando again!

So, why does it seem like part of a longer movie? Simple: we have characters, we have action, but we have no motivation. We have no understanding of the protagonist. We are introduced to the protagonist when he is running away from something. Sure, this creates some sort of interest, but 30 seconds of him just running away (after the titles) is just far too long. After the initial interest (why is he running?) as we know nothing about the character we don't really care whether he gets away or not. Assuming we're not going to learn anything more about him, we just want something to happen (either him escape or his pursuer to appear). When the pursuer does appear, we are none the wiser. We get a very well done suspense scene. As the focus has been on the protagonist we "assume" that he is the good guy and the guy we should side with (though some directors will use that assumption to play tricks on us), but we still don't know why.

So, this feels really well done, but it feels like it's part of a film because it feels like we should know a lot more about the protagonist and the situation either before this scene or just possibly after this scene. On its own it's lacking something.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    but I would go for Franka Potente in Run Lola Run, like this:
    <SNIPS>
    - cut, print and wrap
    yes that would give a story, but it would still lack any reason and hence any identification with the character.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    yes that would give a story, but it would still lack any reason and hence any identification with the character.
    Tim - you are absolutely correct.

In Run Lola Run, Tom Tykwer got us engaged with the characters by having brief night-time scenes in which Lola and Manni engaged in pillow talk. Perhaps this might work for Arteology's film?

Zam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    In Run Lola Run, Tom Tykwer got us engaged with the characters by having brief night-time scenes in which Lola and Manni engaged in pillow talk. Perhaps this might work for Arteology's film?
    I guess it could be done in any one of a hundred ways - so long as it's not too obvious "here we are setting up the characters". Action and suspense are so much better if we are actually rooting for one of the characters.
    Tim

I enjoyed this . The only thing I could suggest would be to tighten up the editing a bit. There seemed to be too much running at the begining, the sound of his feet was becoming repetitive I thought. Also the shot when he grabs the gun could have been shown in one instead of two shots like that. The end when the double pulls the gate open in close up was uneeded, it would hav ebeen creepier if you saw him blurred in the background coming through the gate, then as the focus goes on him we suddenly realise its all going to happen again. Nice idea tho, nice little movie.

9. Default

Thanks a lot for all the comments, feedback and suggestions. Will definitely look into the points mentioned.
    I kind of tried to make it as an open story, there is no particular start or end to this one, i just wanted to have something which is open to the audience where in they would fill it with their own ideas or atleast they would be still curious. But the main idea was to create this indefinite loop where the protagonist has to go through the same cycle, in case he chooses to fight back and survive. He definitely has no clue whats going around him.
    Also i agree it lacked in the character development, i guess i was kind of paying more attention to action and suspense. I had shorts like "Portal : No Escape" and "3 Minutes" in mind while doing this. So you can say its kind of based on similar theme.