Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gtx460 + premiere cs4 still slow whats the problem

1. Default Gtx460 + premiere cs4 still slow whats the problem

hi ive been trying to use premiere pro cs4 to edit footage i shot with a canon550d but the footage was always stuttering and not displaying correctly I thought becauser I had a really old gfx card (nvidia geforce7300 se) anyways I recently bought a evga gtx 460 thinking it would make premiere work properly but its not imporved at all ! its still stuttering and pretty much impossible to use . so how do i get it to be usable is there something im not doing right ?

processor: intelcore 2 quad cpu q6600 @ 2.40 ghz (4 CPUs)
    Memory : 2048 RAM
    new graphics card : EVGA GTX460 1gb superclocked etc

2. Default

Maybe it's the hard drives that slow you down.
    If you want to edit HD Videos, you should have multiple hard drives set on Raid 0.
    Check the Adobe websiteh to find out the information, it's in the Premiere Pro "tech specs".
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html
    And as I know Premiere Pro CS4 doesn't support "Mercury Playback Engine", so you video card will do nothing to improve you experience.
    Here's an explicit article about how to boost you system by unlock the fuction in Premiere CS5 or higher version.
    Adobe Premiere CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 Video Cards with CUDA Acceleration Mercury Playback Unlock Enable MPE Hack Mod Tip
    Last edited by Simon Chen; 06-06-2012 at 11:13 AM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Chen View Post
    Maybe it's the hard drives that slow you down.
    If you want to edit HD Videos, you should have multiple hard drives set on Raid 0.
    Check the Adobe websiteh to find out the information, it's in the Premiere Pro "tech specs".
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html
    And as I know Premiere Pro CS4 doesn't support "Mercury Playback Engine", so you video card will do nothing to improve you experience.
    Here's an explicit article about how to boost you system by unlock the fuction in Premiere CS5 or higher version.
    Adobe Premiere CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 Video Cards with CUDA Acceleration Mercury Playback Unlock Enable MPE Hack Mod Tip
    hi simon thanks for your reply. I have a C drive + an E drive but i think the E drive might just be a partition of the C drive does that help ? also I dont know what raid 0 how do i find out if i have it ? also yeah i read before that premiere cs4 wont run extra memory off the gfx card but I cant upgrade to cs5 because my computer isnt 64 bit ad i thought you needed that to run cs5 ? or do you know any other PC editing videos i could edit HD footage better than premiere ? have tried sony vegas 9 which lets you use a bit more graphics i think, but it was still quite jerky. is there a more basic program i can use or something ? am really just wanting to do pretty straight edits with maybe a bit of colour correcting not trying to go crazy with effects + stuff

anyways thanks for your help if you can answer any of this would appreciate it

thanks

4. Default

Raid mean you can't combine mltiple hard drives into one, so that you can have fast read/write speed.
    I don't have a Raid either, but some says that you'd better locate your "media cache" folder to another drive. Open your Premiere, go to "Edit, Preference, Media" locate the folder to another drive. Maybe it will help.
    And yes, you have to use a 64bit sys to run CS5.
    I am a newbie to video editing, just done some homework about Premiere, so I can't be more helpful. I will try editing a 720P video (that's all I've got now), see how the system goes.
    Anyway, GTX460 will not word in Premiere CS4. Now the memors are at a very good price, maybe you should try adding another 2gigs to your PC.
    Last edited by Simon Chen; 06-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.

2GBs is really pushing it.

Windows will want at least one if not two just for it's own needs, That leaves none left for your editing project.

Beef up the ram as soon as you can, even 4GB will be a vast improvement over 2Gb

6. Default

cool you think if i put more ram in it it will work properly ? how do i figure out which ram im supposed to by ? dont really know too much about that kind of stuff

7. Default

also i just read that a computer running windows xp can only use up to 4gb of ram . is that true ? would i be better buying a newer version of windows too or is there limitations on how much you can use on vista etc ? the main thing is i dont know how to figure out what kind of ram i have without pulling it out of the computer + reading it. is that a dumb thing to do ?

8. Default

Yes, 32bit OS can only operates 3.5GB ram , more than 4GB ram is a waste in the XP (actually, XP has 64bit version, but it's not popular). If you use Vista or Win7 32bit version, you still can only use up to 4GB ram, only 64bit version can take advantages of bigger ram (some say they can support 128GB, some say 192GB, I'm not sure. Anyway, the mother board can't support that much ram, too).
    Depend the information you provide, I can say your system use DDR2 Memory (probably DDR2 800). You can use software to find out the detail of you system (e.g. Aida64).
    Cuz I don't have a DSLR, so I'm not sure adding 2GB ram to your system will solve your problem, but it sure can boost it up.

BTW, I unlock my GTX560SE(GTX460 and GTX460SE use the same GF114 chip, and GTX460 is a bit faster), it works well.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Chen View Post
    Yes, 32bit OS can only operates 3.5GB ram , more than 4GB ram is a waste in the XP (actually, XP has 64bit version, but it's not popular). If you use Vista or Win7 32bit version, you still can only use up to 4GB ram, only 64bit version can take advantages of bigger ram (some say they can support 128GB, some say 192GB, I'm not sure. Anyway, the mother board can't support that much ram, too).
    Depend the information you provide, I can say your system use DDR2 Memory (probably DDR2 800). You can use software to find out the detail of you system (e.g. Aida64).
    Cuz I don't have a DSLR, so I'm not sure adding 2GB ram to your system will solve your problem, but it sure can boost it up.

BTW, I unlock my GTX560SE(GTX460 and GTX460SE use the same GF114 chip, and GTX460 is a bit faster), it works well.

hi yeah ok i installed that Aida64 program what should I be looking for on it ? I ran another one called cpu-z last night and it seemed to say I have a computer that could take a 64 bit operating system (something like EM64T ?) but the windows system tool thing said it was an x86- based pc. not sure if they are the same thing ? from what i read it meant that EM64T meant it could handle 64bit windows ?

according to this AIDA64 thing i have a ASUS P5B SE motherboard, how much RAM could this thing take do you think ? I was thinking about upgrading to windows 64 bit and just buying as much RAM as the computer will take instead of just upgrading to 4GB + keeping XP which seems like a bit of a waste of time in the long run ??

think this thing might be saying i can only use up to 8gb ram with this motherboard ??
    http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Inte...specifications

but yeah where does it say on this AIDA64 what kind of RAM I need to buy ??

I went into a tab that says SPD and it has "MEMORY MODULE PROPERTIES" tab that says MODULE NAME : "
    Transcend JM800QLU-1G 1GB Memory DDR2 " would that be the right thing ? as far as i can tell they only sell 1 gb versions of this ? am i looking at the wrong thing?

also what do you mean you unlocked your GTX560SE ?
    Last edited by BILLYBILLY; 06-08-2012 at 10:23 AM.

10. Default

I also checked it out with the scanner on this webpage what do you think of these results ? is this the sort of thing i should be looking at + is the price good ? ?I really dont know too much about this kind of stuff

Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Determine My Memory Needs

also check it on MR memory but I cant find an option for the ASUS P5B SE only P5B or P5B E is that more or less the same thing ?

http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory/pro...roductID=22271
    Last edited by BILLYBILLY; 06-08-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast