Thread: Pinnacle Studio 15 | Canon Rebel T3i Video editing.

NS, Canada

Default Pinnacle Studio 15 | Canon Rebel T3i Video editing.

I have Pinnacle Studio 15 and have used Pinnacle for years, since verion 9.3. I love video editing and enjoy teaching myself new things to do with it. I have upgraded recently from a Canon Point and Shoot which took 720 HD footage to the T3i which takes 1080 HD footage and looks way better (When I get the focusing right, hehe). I've run into a lot of problems with editing the files created (H.264, .mov) as they chug a lot in the editor. I have tried them in a couple other editors too including PowerDirector and they seem to chug in all programs, which make it very frustrating to edit. Pinnacle seems to crash a lot after editing every 2 or 3 clips and I don't know what to do? Should I be encoding/transcoding my files before editing them? I don't want to lose much noticable quality but I need to do something to get these episodes of my lame YouTube show out. I downloaded a couple of video converters but am not sure what settings to choose. I tried AVS Video converter and chose (HD Video 1080p, H.264/AVC 4200kbps Audip MP3 256kbps but it's crap compared to the original's bitrate of over 44,000+ and audio bitrate of 1536+. Do the numbers matter much for quality? All I know is the re-encoded file is chugging and the originals play fine on my computer. I just want to be able to edit the video without a headache, any ideas?

I'm not sure what all you need for specs....
    AMD Phenom II P960 Quad Core 1.8Ghz
    8GB Ram
    AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series (Crap I know, but it's a laptop that I originally didn't intend for video editing)
    Windows 7 64 Bit

Hello and Welcome to the forum

Did your original 720HD edit OK? This could give some clues. I know Pinnacle uses the computers resources to the max anyway in particular HD. By the look of it your spec should be adequate.
    just a thought but you could try uploading as is to Youtube than down load again in the Youtube 1080 format and try editing from there.

Just found this link on Pinnacle forum.

NS, Canada

The original 720HD edited perfect, with no blockiness or chugging or stuttering, but these newer files seem to be a challenge for it. Uploading to YouTube and downloading wouldn't work as each episode has between 150-200 clips that total around 15-20GB so that would just take forever. I was just wondering if there was a HD format which video editors handled easier than what I have now.