Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The bottom line!

Default The bottom line!

We're filming on Jersey in the channel Islands next week and even though the client is paying the ferry crossing and hotel, it's not the best earner we've ever had.
    The extra costs we've had to pay are making this trip a trifle expensive.
    We checked the price for the ferry crossing for our small Peugot206 van, essentially a 206 car with no rear seats/windows, and along with the hotel cost added this to our invoice.
    We came to finalise the booking and because the 206 is signwritten the ferry company wanted an extra 400! - Classed as freight if signwritten. Hmmm.
    So, an extra cost now is for a hire car @ 160 - Expensive, yes, but only because the hire company is closed Monday/Tuesday cause of the Jubilee holiday, so an extra 3 days hire to make sure we have it for the day we leave.
    Add to that the 70 each way for fuel and a full days lost work each way and the bottom line is getting smaller by the minute.

Ok these costs are all tax deductable and we're extending our stay to make it a holiday break, but as with all quotes for what seems like glamorous location work, it's the bottom line that really counts in business.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I just wish I had a bottom line to worry about.

So, what do you consider you weak points MB? Your video work is good and you've been established a long time. Maybe I can help with options you may not have considered PM if you'd prefer.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

I don't mind talking about it openly as it may be a good discussion for others to learn from. I would say my weak points are:-

I've only been established just over a year. It is a second job (not main money earner). I don't do any marketing apart from having a website. I would say these are my weakest points. I have been in another business for over 25 years, so I feel I know how to run a business I would say my personal weakness is on marketing my self and having the confidence to charge money for my services.

[QUOTE=Midnight Blue;182549]I don't mind talking about it openly as it may be a good discussion for others to learn from. QUOTE]

That's the very reason I post all my musings. They may provide solutions to avoiding the pitfalls, or inspiration for others.
    Would you prefer to be full time on media, or are you happy to drift along and cherry pick the odd job you'd enjoy?

I suppose I'm at a certain age where I don't have to work to hard any more. I did all the 15hr days when I was younger, so I was hoping to just do a bit of cherry picking video work. That doesn't mean I don't like a challenge but I don't want to do weddings. A bit of corporate work would be fine. I had some experience doing live shows, plays, concerts etc. so I have an idea about those sorts of pressures of only one chance to get the shot etc. Being a second/third camera on a big show would be good fun. I would prefer to do the more creative stuff like music video but I know that doesn't come around to often unless you can get a good name for doing that sort of stuff. It's the only thing I've reached for marketing wise on a local level, I also offer a give away price for budget music videos for local unsigned bands.

I suppose I'm at that 'certain' age too and I've done my share of working through the day and night. Trouble is, I've never lost the passion for the creative side and the buzz you get when new projects appear on the skyline.
    SDEs and the like keep my adrenalin levels topped up

I think your just an adrenalin junky, I can see you jumping out of aeroplanes when your 80.

I get no kicks from champagne, mere alchohol doesn't thrill me at all . . . I probably am, though I get all my kicks from making a success out of my 'hobby' and helping others achieve their dream of working full time in the media world.
    It's not impossible even in these poor economic times to turn a pleasurable hobby into a full time business.
    As for jumping out of planes at 80, that won't happen. My planned cut off point is 70 . . . Then it's over

80 is the new 70.

So where do you think I should go from here to build up my business ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast