Thread: One shot stop motion with 500+ girls and an iPad

Default One shot stop motion with 500+ girls and an iPad

This is the music video to go with one of my new songs. It took months to make and finally it's done! It's so weird to actually be putting it online now.

It's a stop motion video clip of a real time video. The video being held up on an iPad in the hands of over 500 of Sydney's finest women!

The filming of the actual clip (and the timelapse) was done by a guy with much more experience, using a Canon 5D. The filming of the one shot clip was really challenging because there was so much movement and we didn't have a steady cam. In the end we wound up taking a slightly broader shots and removing shaking and tightening the focus in post.

All the photographs were taken with a 1000D with a stock lens, which I'd actually borrowed it from my parents. Special care had to be taken with the environment since the iPad is back lit and Sydney is a really bright city in summer. In the end, the vast majority of photos had to be taken in reasonably well covered areas, unless it was a heavily overcast day.

A lot of work had to be done in post to get all the photos lined up. I wrote a program which automated a lot of that, thankfully. And then there was the actual piecing together of the different film sections, which was a whole different challenge in itself!!

If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends!

I like the idea and think you did it well. What technique did you use to put the film showing on the iPad during the photos. I couldn't see the join.

Blog Entries

Clever and well worked out. For me though, it was a case of the execution being more interesting than the content I'm afraid.
    Tim

Really enjoyed your video and music (lyrics to be understood better though.. My English is a bit slow and Iīm sure it will take long for you to translate to portuguese!! ). Interesting editing and technique. Lotīs of work there for sure!

I didnīt like the transition to your "playing at home studio" around 2:30. Those coloured ribbons hanging on the wall.... . Didnīt follow the well-worked initial part for me.

Oh, and when you post it at YouTube/Vimeo, guess how many times guys will write to you to ask the phone number of the girl at __:__ minute!!! BTW......
    Last edited by TonyBR; 06-01-2012 at 01:32 AM.

This is such a cool video. Super Creative!!! Great Work.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I like the idea and think you did it well. What technique did you use to put the film showing on the iPad during the photos. I couldn't see the join.
    I split the original video into frames. So instead of it being 2 minutes of footage, it was 1,500~ photos. Then I loaded those onto the iPad and got each girls to hold up different frames. So the girls were only ever holding up a still photo from the clip and never the video.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Clever and well worked out. For me though, it was a case of the execution being more interesting than the content I'm afraid.
    Hey no problems, as long as you enjoyed it somehow

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Really enjoyed your video and music (lyrics to be understood better though.. My English is a bit slow and Iīm sure it will take long for you to translate to portuguese!! ). Interesting editing and technique. Lotīs of work there for sure!

I didnīt like the transition to your "playing at home studio" around 2:30. Those coloured ribbons hanging on the wall.... . Didnīt follow the well-worked initial part for me.
    Yeah, the transition might not have been the best. The budget was basically $0 so there wasn't too much we could do to make that part look too flashy but I think it worked well for what we had!

Have fun working out the lyrics

Thanks for the replies and support guys