Thread: 'A New Beginning' - 3-minute short film starring Hong Kong celebrity JuJu Chan

Default 'A New Beginning' - 3-minute short film starring Hong Kong celebrity JuJu Chan

We shot this in one day on location in Hong Kong. It stars Hollywood & Hong Kong actress: JuJu Chan (JuJu Chan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) It is a sort of 'non-dialogue' short narrative film. Comments are much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Works as a film section, but not as a drama.

Like your previous film it was well enough made. I think your lead did a good job of conveying the dilemma she was facing.

However, also like your previous film, it failed to draw me in.

We are introduced to the fact she has to choose whether to follow her career and separate (possibly temporarily) from her boyfriend or ... what exactly? Presumably give up a significant career opportunity (but we have to infer that ourselves)

We can see her having to make this difficult decision, but we don't really get to see why the decision is difficult: we have no idea as to how inportant this job is to her. Does she need to do it? Is it a lifetime dream? Similarly we don't get amy sort of indication as to how she weighs up the pros and cons and finally reachs her decision.

I don't know how I'm meant to feel at the end. Is she regretful but selfish, or is her signing the contract prompted by other motivations (perhaps she's doing it for the both of them - a short term sacrifice to raise a stash of cash so thay can pursue their happiness together, perhaps she's badly in debt)

In other words there is no plot development and there is no character development. We know no more about her when the film ends than when it began, and there's no indication that she knows any more about herself either.

Sorry if this all seems very harsh in the light ofwhat is quite a nicley fiolmed and edited piece. I'm not sure, but it might work a lot better as the "decision " section of a longer piece which fleshes out the circumstances and the character(s).

I watched it again without the sound - often a good test as to whether a film really works - expecting that the music had added a sense of drama. I was rather surprised to find I enjoyed it more silent! It is, of course, possible that by this stage I have begun to make up my own backstories for the characters, but it certainly shows the content has been put togetehr well.
    Tim

Very nice looking. And the filming looked good too.

I have to agree with Tim you've made a very nice looking film but left the story in Hong Kong ! I suspect one of the problems might be the lack of time you had with Miss Chan. It might have been nice to see her in action with "the boy friend" rather than just a still which might have given me the feeling of Oh that's nice how much they are in love etc... I'm afraid all I got was Yeah right, that bird with that block, I don't think so. (no offence meant John)

What happened at the end just made her look selfish and uncaring, that left the film with a BIG hole in it of, who do I empathise with? Not the selfish woman and not the bloke I don't know anything about. Maybe the photographer. He was the only other person in the film.

I think you and your brother make great looking movies. Keep the story up there with the looks and you'll be as big as the Coen Bros or who ever.

Thanks to both of you for well thought out comments. I totally agree with the comments - the storyline has a lot of problems to it. I won't start making excuses about the lack of time we had but it was a great opportunity to film with her so we had to do our best in our given time. I appreciate that you both think we can make 'great looking movies' - and for our next short film we'll put more thought into the story. Thanks again!

So how did you get to film with her, was it a freebie or did you pay for a days shoot ?

Amazingly it was a freebie. I have some contacts in Hong Kong (I write for an International Film Magazine and I wrote an article about her) and advertised thoroughly. I filmed with her in 2010 and she enjoyed the experience and wanted to film with us again. I tried to get her in a film last year but she was busy but she had a free day this time round, so I went for it. Good for marketing but in terms of story, this is one of our weakest.

(We paid for her lunch though :P - she's a very nice person, and good to work with).

Well good for you on getting a freebie. She seems very nice in the movie. Oh one last thing, I think you should have used the logo that I made for you, as just changing the black background to white doesn't improve it.

Haha! In my defence, this film was edited over a month ago

Just watched this short video

Quite simply beautiful to watch not just the attractive talent but the way it is shot and made.

Loved the start with cars and headlights out of focus and then gradually coming into focus.

As it was short it held may attention due to visually feast you created.....

However I do agree with the guys about the story letting it down.

But regardless it is evident that you have the talent ,imagination and skill set to make beautiful videos.

Many congratulations I very much enjoyed watching your short film

Thank You very much, slimbob. You are very kind.