Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Svideo - Fire wire

Default Svideo - Fire wire

Hi guys my mum has got quite a old Cam corder (not sure on the make) and she wants me to put some video footage onto a dvd for her. The only problem is that the cam corder does not have a usb or fire wire port, although it does have a s-vide connection.

My question is would it be possible to get a s-video to firewire lead? and what would the quality be like?

Thanks in advance

Mike

No way.

A short and sweet answer there

I'm afraid he's right. You'll need some sort of analoague-digital video capture box / card to do all that for you.

Default ok

Thanks for the reply, what about if i recorded the film onto VHS, what would i need to then copy it from VHS onto my p.c?

Thanks again

Mike

You'd probably be best capturing it straight from the camera to minimise any degradation in quality.

I don't really have that much knowledge of these capture boxes, but I know some of the other guys on this board do. Come on guys, answer his question!

Default Re: ok

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeybude25
    Thanks for the reply, what about if i recorded the film onto VHS, what would i need to then copy it from VHS onto my p.c?

Thanks again

Mike
    Sadly, that doesn't change the answer at all. You'll still need the same A2D convertor.

The cheapest analogue 2 digital convertor for this purpose will likely be around 50 UKP (example at http://tinyurl.com/88jh4 ). So if it is a one off effort then it will likely be cheaper to find a friend who can do this for you or get it done proffessionally.

I had some joy with the Belkin dongle which is about 50. You could do what Mr. Mills said or alternatively, buy one and then sell it on on eBay - there seems to be quite a good market for second hand analog to digital converters. I've seen the Canopus ADVC-55 that I got for ~130 go for over 100....
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Default quality

Ok thanks again, one last question if i go with the suggestion made by mr mills, i notice that it is a usb2 connection, as i am not sure if i have usb2 or usb 1.1 will this make a difference?

Thanks again

Mike

A USB 2.0 device is compatible with a USB 1.0 connection, and a USB 1.0 device is compatible with a USB 2.0 connection, I believe - but the speed of the connection reverts to USB 1.0 speed, which is significantly slower than either USB 2.0 or Firewire.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Hi guys just had a thought regarding my first post.

Would it be possible to connect my mums camcorder (Samsung vp w95d) to my Sony DCR-TRV33E and recored my mums video onto my camcorder which would then allow me too connect my camcorder upto my p.c and burn the footage onto dvd?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast