Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TURNING PAGES - SHORT FILM (Canon 500D)

Smile TURNING PAGES - SHORT FILM (Canon 500D)

A psychological sci-fi drama based around one character and his broken memories after suffering a serious car accident. Can he fix his memories and get back to his family before its too late?

Director: Luke Harris
    Actor: Mark Tracey
    Camera Operators: Daniel Blaynee, Stuart Mckeown, Luke Harris
    Editors: Daniel Blaynee, Stuart Mckeown
    Video Effects: Stuart Mckeown
    Colourist: Daniel Blaynee
    let us know what you think?

I quite liked this. I thought the general idea was good, the TV and the books as getting the memory back etc. I'm not sure you could really call this a sci-fi though.

A couple of things, I would have liked to have seen the guy in the car properly before the crash to help the viewer relate to and empathise with him. I noticed the background "hum" dropped out for a second or two around 2 mins into the movie. Lighting must have been difficult to try and get the white room without too much over exposing of the rest of the stuff.

Well done.

thanks for the positive feedback! i agree with the stuff you're saying, we had a screening at college and it wasn't until then, i noticed the room tone hum kept fading out :( think i'll need to change that. Only reason we called it a sci-fi is because of where he wakes up near the end of the film.

Thanks a lot

Blog Entries

"I see the ?????? has come down." It's mentioned twice but i can't make it out. I'm guessing the soundbites are key to understanding this but unfortunately I can't make head nor tail of them. Sadly I found it all too vague. Disappointing as I liked the look and you managed to keep the suspense going. Some good angles and nicely paced.

I'd like to know what Midnight (or others) actually understood by it before you explain.
    Tim

I thought it was quite obvious, guy has a car crash, goes into a coma, trapped in is own mind he uses the metaphors of the books etc. to get his head back together.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I thought it was quite obvious, guy has a car crash, goes into a coma, trapped in is own mind he uses the metaphors of the books etc. to get his head back together.
    and .... ?

I'll wait and see if there's more before commenting further.
    Tim

Am I missing something ? Has my simple out look on life failed me again. Have I missed a deeper meaning ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Am I missing something ? Has my simple out look on life failed me again. Have I missed a deeper meaning ?
    That's what I'm wondering.
    Tim

Blog Entries

OK, as no-one has come up with anything else, I'll make the point I was referring to with my "And ...?" comment.

It is simply this - nothing happens in the film. Yes there's an idea and the metaphors are interesting, but nothing happens. I don't mean it's not full of action, but that the character does not develop - and nothing is revealed throughout the film which even develops our understanding of the character (unless, as I said earlier, I've missed something). That is why, for me I feel deeply dissatisfied at the end of the film.

Incidentally, had this been poorly made, I wouldn't have expected it to have any dramatic content and so would not have felt as dissatisfied.
    Tim

I agree that it would have been better if more had been revealed about the character as he recovered more of his memory through out the movie. The sound bites offered didn't fulfil that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast