Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slimbob's Last Test Video

Smile Slimbob's Last Test Video

Hi Guys

Here is my last test video with incorporated audio and movement and before an after comparison!!! I am basically done………

My P.C mike is a bit squeaky in the narration sections …sorry about that.

My own voice doesn’t suit my cat character (tried it and it doesn’t feel or sound right to me ) so I kind of whisper a bit (ie) a whispering Cat …..cool!!!

Guys this has been a massive journey for me and the finish line is now clear within sight so I have gone through all my threads and noted down everyone who has helped me on my quest.

I am not going anywhere by the way ….. This isn’t a goodbye

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************

Special thanks to: (alphabetical order)
    David Walsh,MB,Tim Stannard

Indebted to you for your generosity.

Thank you Rembrandt Rob for your priceless advice and help on my budget lighting.

And to everyone else who has helped me (alphabetical order).
    Blue Storm,Bpotter908,CaptionWorld,Dogster,Drasik Productions,ENC,Fuzzymuffin,Jim Pa,Marc Peters,Paul Ears,Stripe,Tim Andrews and last but not least Zero,

Plus thank you - Marc “The One” Peters - for creating and running the “DD Forum”

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************

O.k Guys the things I would really like feedback about my video are :

1- Iris

Your preferred iris setting F2.4/2.8 (you all agreed) however when I set up my studio again this time exactly the same (everything the same) F2.4/2.8 looked a bit bright more like F2.4 in last test (shirt burning out)?? Don’t know why??? So I have shot this at F2.8 and also at F2.4/2,8 (old choice).

It therefore seems I can’t rely on a standard iris setting and will have to do a quick iris test before each shoot.

If you guys say which of the two settings used in this video you prefer then I will keep this footage and use it has a guide to chose the iris setting in future shoots compared to just setting it at F2.4/2.8.This is better I feel as I am becoming more experienced using my camera.

Oh yea out of interest from a post editing perspective which is easier to fix/work with?

1- Shirt burning out with face well lit. =Correct shirt
    2 - Shirt well lit with face too dark.= Correct face

This will also help me chose iris for each shoot.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******

2 – Audio

Is it acceptable or is it bad?
    Using 3 meter XLR to 3.5mm audio jack straight in camera.
    Using batteries no mains!!!! hum problem last time
    Do I need to save up for a “Juiced Link box or Zoom (ie) balanced signal XLR TO XLR) or is the improvement negligible?
    Really hope my studio is doing a good job from a audio perspective not just lighting perspective.

Or do I need a better mic ?

I have tried various tie clip mics and found them awkward to use .MB suggestion about putting on my head is a good one but I find when I am wired it negatively affects my performance. Plus when I tested a Sony, Audio Technica and Rode tie clip against my Rode NT3 the Rode NT3 won hands down for me …..much warmer fuller sound which I think is linked to the bigger capsule size of the NT3 compared to the various tie clip mics I tested.

However I personally think the visual improvement in the comparison video is much better than the audio improvement.

If the sound will be dramatically improved using a “Juiced Link” or “Zoom” then I will probably save up and wait (ie) big fencing job coming up in a few weeks!!!!!

Must watch my back though.

3- Movement

25fps and shutter speed 1/50 …again hope it looks o.k.
    I understand that 25fps with 1/50 shutter speed is a good solid combination so I think it is a safe bet for a beginner like me.

4 – Position test

I have included just two choices from my many tests …these two won hands down for me good balance of head and waistcoat. The further out look is the look I have used in all my thread videos but the other option (bigger) I think might be better as my face takes up more screen size with the same waistcoat proportion so movement is the unaffected.

Which one do you think is the best look. …Appreciate I can always alternate

I am so happy with the before and after comparison guys!!!!!!!!!!

At the end of the day I am not trying to win awards with my videos just to make videos that don’t cry out amateur and look crap but instead look good to the average person. I appreciate you can go on and on with things like this as things can always be improved and tweaked.

I really do think with your help and experience I have made a massive improvement!!!!! And am literally on cloud 9!!!!!!

Thank you everyone so much !!!!!

P.s – I forgive you MB for torturing me psychologically recently with your secret project.

<span style="color:#ff0000;"><em>

Sound looks (or sounds!) great. I have a nice 5.1 system on my computer and the sound was very clear, highly detailed. Closer (bigger) position looks better too..... As a newbie, I´m not supposed to ask about the cat thing, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    As a newbie, I´m not supposed to ask about the cat thing, right?
    So far we've all managed quietly not to draw attention to it. It's just one of those things that's best left unmentioned
    Tim

Hey Tony
    Thanks for taking the time to watch my weird test video!!
    So pleased it sounds o.k phew!!!!!
    Thanks too for passing judgement on my position test ...
    I built my studio out of duvets and other stuff Tony ...... a real budget set up with a lot of enthusiasm thrown in for good measure.

The cat thing is just me being a dumb ass ...(ie) character to share my stories/comedy through.

Tim and the guys are use to me by now and have been very patient and tolerant of my weird project

Thanks for your feedback Tony ...much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Oh yea out of interest from a post editing perspective which is easier to fix/work with?

1- Shirt burning out with face well lit. =Correct shirt
    2 - Shirt well lit with face too dark.= Correct face
    Oversimplification alert - the numbers aren't stricly true. Think of it this way, if a shot is too dark all the values are moved towards 0, if it is too bright they're moved towards (for argument's sake) 255. So anything which should be say in the range 0 to 20 will be converted to 0 if you shoot "20" too dark. That information can never be got back (if you add 20 to everything in post, anything originally between 0 and 20 will . Similarly anything in say 235 to 255 will be converted to 255 and that information can never be goty back (if you subtract 20 from everything in post everything originally between 235 and 255 is now 235).

Typically in video overexposed means there's stuff burning out (more is hitting the maximum value than should), but with underexposed there's still information there. Therefore correction for underexposure is nearly always better than correction for overexposure.

In other words - 2. Correct the face in post.
    Tim

Very entertaining test video Bob.

Ok Bob I'll address things in the order that you asked. F2.8 was better for me. I agree the shirt was burning out at the more open iris. In post it's easier to add a little light than to fix the burnt out detail on the shirt. If you think of it like this, when an image is burnt out there is no information for the software to work with.

I couldn't hear a problem with the audio maybe enc with his super duper monitor speakers will have a better idea. The sound seemed clear and there's no room noise. Because you talk in a whisper your voice tone doesn't come through like a normal voice would so I think I'd stay with the mic you have right now. The only thing I would comment on is the shirt makes a lot of noise when you move a lot so I'd be aware of that during you performance. Or get a quieter shirt.

On the position test or framing, The bigger one was perfect framing bang on the third line BUT I prefer the "smaller" framing, You would need to tilt the camera very slightly so your eye line is on the line between the middle and the top third of the screen. Framing is not something that you should consider a fixed thing you would frame according to the content of the piece. Example to have an intimate feel you would frame the shot close up. To make the talent seem vulnerable or lonely frame the talent small with a lot of space around him. These are not hard an fast rule but something to think about.

Very well done on your progress the before and after looks totally different and vastly improved.

Great thanks Tim ......big help ......................
    I will always aim to get my shirt well lit an not burning out and leave the face to be improved if needed.
    I will use that as my key whether the iris is F2.4 , F2.4/2.8 or F2.8.

In my video going from your advice the F2.8 would seem the best bet in this particular shoot compared to usual F2.4/2.8 .....
    I appreciate next time F2.4/2.8 might be more appropriate than F2.8 things tend to fluctuate even in my (best as I can) standardised studio .

Thanks Tim for your help as usual

Blog Entries

If you go for the closer shot - watch out for cutting off the top of your head.
    If you're going to have movement of teh kind you were demonstrating, I'd go for the wider shot.
    The boxing gloves looked great. if there was much wrong with your setup they would have come across as over-saturated so you're clearly in the right ball park.
    Can't comment on the movement - I suspect it would look sharper with a faster shutter speed (which will mean compensating in other areas) but as you haven't tried it I can't tell!
    The curtains all look good - it's really down to your preference now.

It's all looking stunning though. Well don.

Sound is OK - with ear buds I can hear quite a bit of top end, a bit of hiss and lots of clothes movement. I'd be inclined to roll off a bit of top end. There might even be one particular frequency which needs removing. There is no interference though, so balanced cables (ie using a Juiced Link or Zoom H4n with XLRs) won't make any difference to that.
    Tim

Hi MB

Thanks for dropping by as usual.
    Great so from what you and Tim say I will use the F2.8 look in this video as my standard to choose iris setting on future shoots always tends to be either F2.4/2.8 or F2.8 so a quick test before I shoot will be sensible.

GREAT !!!!! My sound is acceptable...............phew!!!!! My noisy shirt (damn it)
    When I used tie clips it was terrible so believe it or not it is a massive improvement !!!!! I bought my shirt from a medieval place as it is baggy around the arms to give my character a different look ..... I will have to work on this thanks for bringing it to my attention...sometimes the movement actually adds something to the clip as it complements the action but other times it doesn't I know .Thanks MB I will look into it

Honestly you really think my audio is good .....without a Juiced link box or Zoom ..... great !!

O.k --- I must admit both frames are o.k to me but I didn't know about the third rule what I might do is compromise between the two as a good all round frame and aim to get eyes in the position you said.
    Plus use farming to complement the content ...thanks .....learning all the time..

MB out of interest as a first time viewer of my character with voice what do you think of my voice/whisper do you think it suits my character .....
    My own voice doesn't seem to work to me ??
    One good thing is that it tends to record well compared to my own voice (ie) less distortion.

Thanks for your complement about my before and after footage isn't it brill !!!!!!!!! so pleased

Indebted to everyone.

Hi again Tim ....

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If you go for the closer shot - watch out for cutting off the top of your head.
    If you're going to have movement of teh kind you were demonstrating, I'd go for the wider shot.
    Great thanks for input Tim .......noted !

The boxing gloves looked great. if there was much wrong with your setup they would have come across as over-saturated so you're clearly in the right ball park.
    Can't comment on the movement - I suspect it would look sharper with a faster shutter speed (which will mean compensating in other areas) but as you haven't tried it I can't tell!
    Understand that a faster shutter speed like 1/100 might suit the fast movement better Tim I will experiment at least I know that the 1/50 works o.k and doesn't look awful.

The curtains all look good - it's really down to your preference now.
    Yes very little difference now I will make a choice and go with it

It's all looking stunning though. Well don.
    Honestly Tim ..... that means a lot to me thank you ....such a joint effort !!!! I am so happy

Sound is OK - with ear buds I can hear quite a bit of top end, a bit of hiss and lots of clothes movement. I'd be inclined to roll off a bit of top end. There might even be one particular frequency which needs removing. There is no interference though, so balanced cables (ie using a Juiced Link or Zoom H4n with XLRs) won't make any difference to that.
    Fantastic about not needing to save up for a "Juiced Link Box" or Zoom before I get started !!!
    In the future I can use better software to tweak audio ..... at present WMM 2.1 is limited on audio editing but hey that's a future goal .....
    If I get decent footage (visual and audio) it means it will respond well in post editing when I get a new P.C and Vegas.

Tim like I asked MB ... as you are a first time viewer of my cat character with a voice now what did you think ???
    Did it sound o.k and match my character???
    As I said my own voice doesn't seem to work on tests ?

Thanks a million Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast