Thread: Editor needed for Mountain Bike Video. Paid, but quick turnaround needed!

Cool Editor needed for Mountain Bike Video. Paid, but quick turnaround needed!

The first Whackjam (see post here: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/pimp-li...tml#post180888) went incredibly well. Great weather, amazing collection of riders, and some very happy photographers. More here: Whackjam Gallery – Chicksands May ’12 | Whackjob - Loosen yer screws

Then a problem: our preferred editor had to pull out due to problems at home, and our backup guy has taken other work and can't do the job soon enough. Fair enough in both cases.

The budget isn't huge, but it is proportionate and there's a lot more to this. We're looking for someone who can produce a 3 to 4 minute vid from existing raw footage that combines different styles and sources of videography. The edit should showcase those behind the camera and generally be above all, interesting and fun to watch.

In return, in addition to some cash, some genuinely good PR is involved - not just promises of hits on Youtube. Two major industry online magazines (Wideopen and IMB) are on board, we have an offer from the Bike Film Festival to take it as a late entry if it's any good. We also have the top PR company in the industry (Red Cloud MC) plugging this. It WILL get a large viewing audience, and the editor can put themselves in as top billing, as in, "A Fred Smith Film". The whole idea is that this is a mutually beneficial collaboration; the only difference is that the editor is the only person getting paid as well.

Timing is an issue; we need something by June 6th. (I know, I know - not what we'd planned!) because there's a huge event on the 9th and eyes will be distracted by then.

We have source material waiting, we just need the right person. If you think you fit the bill, can start in the next few days, and are happy to take the PR as part-payment, please get in touch (on this post or at Contact | Whackjob - Loosen yer screws) with some links to your work. We've not got very set opinions on the outcome, so your ideas will be very welcome. It's a great opportunity - but cash helps, eh.

What is the main purpose of the video? ie To promote your website, promote mountain biking in general? How much footage needs to be gone through ? How much is not much cash exactly ? Just to get some royalty free music could cost a bit. I'm not trying to be negative, I kind of like your ethos but I have to be practical if I was to take this on.

Not negative - just good questions! Actually, it looks like the gig has already gone, but as you've taken the time to respond, in case it's of interest:

The purpose of the video is to generate exposure for all concerned that is greater than anyone involved could have managed on their own - a 'greater than the sum of the parts' kind of thing. Whackjob's philosophy is indirect, 'pay-it-forward' marketing, in that we try to generate good things for the mtb community in general on the basis that indirectly it'll promote the brand. So the vid basically needs to be as entertaining and interesting for the viewer as possible, while promoting the videographers more than the riders.

Anyway - looks like our PR guy has already sorted an editor, but after the week we've had I'll believe it when I see it! Thanks again for responding; sorry it looks unlikely to come to anything this time, but this experiment looks like it's going to be a success and prove a concept, so we'll be on here again..

Well I'm glad your sorted. Hope it turns out good.

Cheers; so do we! If it does work, we'll be doing it again and perhaps others will pick the idea up. It has shown that some of the kids that turned up with cameras (and a shedload of talent) can produce some stuff that can be edited in seamlessly with the pro stuff. Best of all, they'll get the same billing, so hopefully it'll give them a huge boost. And if nothing else, the whole day was just great fun. The stills side was intended as a side-show, but as you can see from the gallery it turned into a major event and went down a storm. The snappers got more good stuff in one afternoon than most of the previous year. Instead of begging riders to go back and repeat the same jumps and turns again and again, they were able to just pick a spot, set up, and wait for the riders to come past; something that was never more than a few seconds away.

Really good so far; I just hope the vid lives up to it! I'll post a link here when we get it - hopefully in about a week.