Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member from Brazil asks for comments on canoeing videos. Thanks.

Default New member from Brazil asks for comments on canoeing videos. Thanks.

Hello to all, greetings from Brazil....

Although I already posted a self-presentation message at the apropriate "presentations thread", here is some information on my very short filming history.... Mostly in order to tell you that Iīm in the bottom of the learning curve, but (of course), aspiring the upper levels.... So, please, all your comments, good or bad, are more than welcome...

Tried Super8mm about 30 years ago at school projects
    Never touched a camera again for the next 28 years
    Recently bought one of those GoPro little cameras to film my canoeing-trips
    Got ABSOLUTELY crazy about filming (cameras should come with a "May cause addiction" warning!!)
    Got my first good camera last saturday. Itīs a Sony NX70U + Manfrotto head/tripod (I donīt miss a GoPro handhelded for sure...

Since the rules ask for "no more than 1 video per post", here is the first one...... But please, check my other ones (next posts) as they are supposed to show some (if any!!) evolution....

Thanks again for your attention and comments,

TonyBR

PS: sorry for the English mistakes.....but writing in Portuguese would probably be worse
    Last edited by TonyBR; 05-21-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Hello Tony and Welcome to the forum.

"Bottom of the learning curve" Cant believe that! Good clear shots well edited and I liked the music. I wonder how much that would have cost you if you had used Super8? Probably a second mortgage worth.
    Good job well done!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Hello Tony and Welcome to the forum.

"Bottom of the learning curve" Cant believe that! Good clear shots well edited and I liked the music. I wonder how much that would have cost you if you had used Super8? Probably a second mortgage worth.
    Good job well done!
    Thanks CaptionW! The GoPro produces some really sharp images, but itīs quite limited on itīs "single" use.... Just a fixed wide view that takes a bit to get used to. On the first movies most people were the size of ants!! From now on my idea is to combine shots from a better tripod mounted camera with GoPro takes to produce better canoeing movies. But hey....why dream small???? Documentaries are next (probably my Biology soul taking over again...).

DELETED VIDEO HERE - double post not permited (by TonyBR)
    Last edited by TonyBR; 05-21-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Talking about the video in post one. Video in post #3 will probably be deleted by a moderator.

I thought this was a very nice video it showed great natural feel of what needs to be there and not be there, when it comes to editing. Most of the shots you chose had a reason to be there ie something of interest was happening or it just help the video move on the the next stage. The music fitted well with the piece and gave it a nice feel good vibe.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Talking about the video in post one. Video in post #3 will probably be deleted by a moderator.

I thought this was a very nice video it showed great natural feel of what needs to be there and not be there, when it comes to editing. Most of the shots you chose had a reason to be there ie something of interest was happening or it just help the video move on the the next stage. The music fitted well with the piece and gave it a nice feel good vibe.

Well done.
    Thanks a lot MB!!!

I wasnīt sure about posting 2 movies in the same thread OR in the same post...... As I said, my idea was to get to a "well, from the movies itīs all OK.... BUT, in general you can improove this and that...."

As a newbie here, I hope the moderators will understand and delete it....just it, not me!!!

Thanks again MB, but please send the negatives aspects too..... At my age I already know that mistakes teach well too!

TonyBR

Ooops, just noticed that I can edit old posts, so I deleted the 2nd video.
    Last edited by TonyBR; 05-21-2012 at 10:11 PM.

The way I look at a video is notice all the good points and bad points and hopefully the balance will dictate what I think about it over all. With this when I was looking at it, it captured me in to just viewing rather than having a critical eye so that was the balance of the view I gave. I'm sure if I looked at it again I could see were the framing of this or that shot wasn't quite right but that would be missing the point.

Blog Entries

Hi Tony and welcome.

Broadly I agree with Midnight. Most shots have a lovely colour and the sequencing works well. Let's start from the point of view that the film is very watchable already and look for areas for improvement.

You have a feel for keeping each sho on screen for the right amount of time, but dissolve after dissolve lessens the impact of each shot. Rarely do you see dissolves nowadays. Straight cuts are a bit trickier because they force you to make a decision as to exactly where to finish one shot and start the next, but because they do that, they make the finished article more professional.

You have also wandered into the realm of using a variety of different dissolve transitions. Unless you're creating titles for a TV game show, these are best avoided as they can become a distraction (the viewer starts wondering what transition is coming next rather than following the film).

If you must use anything other than a straight cut, you reall need to have a reason for it. if you want to use transitions at all, limit yourself to one or two types

Add some ambient sound. The music was great, but some water rippling or voices of the people we see would add to the feeling of being there.

Finally - and this is very much personal opinion - I don't like to see stills and video mixed (unless there's very good reason - like a documentary showing old images). I'd be inclined to have a separate "slideshow" video of the stills.

(Thansk for removing and reposting your second video)
    Tim

Hi Tim, thanks a lot for your reply and comments on my video.... I agree that it is watchable, but that there is a lot of room to improovements.

The "transitions-festival" I made is really bad.... Guess I was childish playing with all the new and powerful (to me!!) editing resources of the software.... At least I avoided the worst fractals scandalous ones, right??!!!

Totally agree that the straight cuts are much more professional! Iīve been watching hundreds of fantastic videos at Vimeo and almost all of them are based on straight-cuts.....and some are very very well done.... This probably takes the editor to a next level of pleasure, finding the right time over the right shots. Ohhh, I can see many more hours in front of the computer....

The stills at the end..... I like the idea, but on that case it was badly made...different sizes, not from the same trip etc... Lazyness at itīs "best"....

added later: The sound problem.... The GoPro, inside itīs waterproof case, is horrible to capt sound, hence all videos are with music only.... With new equipment Iīll start looking for more ambient sound for sure!

Tim, thanks again for your time and attention. I really like to hear otherīs opinnions.... (Wife always say itīs great!!! Not fair...)

PS: I see that there is a way to "register" a Thanks, but I canīt find the "button" for that....
    Last edited by TonyBR; 05-22-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Hi Tony me again.

Some interesting pointers from Tim and MB About the dissolve transition, come to think of it you don't see it much these days, and watching it on my videos I now find it more annoying. Although its useful were a scene as was, cuts from the past to the present day. Makes you think of all the gismos in Video editing software these days your just paying for a lot that you never use. That's a point could start a new thread on that one.

Oh the Thanks Button has been disabled due to problems. So its the like on the bottom right, instead.

Yeah...it seems that (as with almost anything), there are trends on transitions too! I like the fading effect, as well as the out-of-focus, but now they make you look a bit out of fashion perhaps? On the good side, there is always something new to work with/to...

Oh, that may look weird, but the THANKS button is here now....left bottom corner! Just sent you one!

Hummm, it didnīt work.... Opened another page that didnīt load... But hey, Thank you!!!
    Last edited by TonyBR; 05-22-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast