Thread: Move over Paxman

Blog Entries

Default Move over Paxman

I ventured into the world of hard-hitting inteviews yesterday as witnessed by The Independent
    Tim

Blog Entries

Where was the bullet-proof vest and blue helmet with "TV" in white gaffa tape on it...? Required by all reporters in dangerous situations.

Staines-upon-Thames? Sounds even worse...

Regardless of its name if there are a lot of trees there then I am sure I would like living there even if you called it "Bumville".

Do you like living there Tim ????????

Daft question I know as if you didn't you would of probably moved on a while back.

Are you happy with the name change or bascially couldn't you care less

Nice picture by the way (very professional!!)

Congrats on getting in the "Independent"

I don't know what colour your helmet is but that florescent vest would keep you safe.

staines has never been the same for me since the crooked billet closed

Wasn't that back in the 18th century. Oh hang on do you mean the pub or the roundabout.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Do you like living there Tim ????????
    I don't live there. I live a few miles away in Walton-on-Thames. Our justification for "on Thames" is it distinguishes us from the several other Walton's in the UK
    But Staines is my local club.

As for the name, I don't really care. I interviewed the councillor Colin Davis quite extensiely and he put forward a surprisingly good case for the change (citing various polls whch had been conducted to see what the name Staines conjoured up thorughout the country). The business community pushed for it. In a public consultation, hardly anyone bothered to register in favour of the name change, but only half that number (who would presumably have been more vociferous and more likely to vote) voted against. The only real cost incurred is changing 10 "Welcome to" signs all of which have been sponsored by local businesses. Other signs will just be reworded when they are replaced at the end of their natural life.

Do I like Walton? Whilst I spent 18 months the other side of the river in Sunbury-on-Thames and 17 years in Addlestone, I've never moved further than 6 miles from my place of birth, so I dont really know whether I like living here. It's convenient for London (though I only visit three or four times per year) and the countryside, so I'm certainly not complaining.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I don't live there. I live a few miles away in Walton-on-Thames. Our justification for "on Thames" is it distinguishes us from the several other Walton's in the UK
    But Staines is my local club.
    Got you Tim.

As for the name, I don't really care. I interviewed the councillor Colin Davis quite extensiely and he put forward a surprisingly good case for the change (citing various polls whch had been conducted to see what the name Staines conjoured up thorughout the country). The business community pushed for it. In a public consultation, hardly anyone bothered to register in favour of the name change, but only half that number (who would presumably have been more vociferous and more likely to vote) voted against. The only real cost incurred is changing 10 "Welcome to" signs all of which have been sponsored by local businesses. Other signs will just be reworded when they are replaced at the end of their natural life.
    Yes If they are going ahead then there must be a good reason to do so and changing a few signs wont break the bank.

Do I like Walton? Whilst I spent 18 months the other side of the river in Sunbury-on-Thames and 17 years in Addlestone, I've never moved further than 6 miles from my place of birth, so I dont really know whether I like living here. It's convenient for London (though I only visit three or four times per year) and the countryside, so I'm certainly not complaining.
    The grass is always greener on the other side till you get there and then there is always somewhere else that looks greener ... If you are content where you are why move ??
    Like the guy in Africa who went searching for diamonds (mining) and never succeeded ...... after he died one of the biggest diamond mines was discovered on his property /land !!! He went searching for something that was right under his feet the whole time.
    Must admit I am very content where I live ..... I could live in a lot worse places ...very lucky