Thread: Canon t3i audio problems

Default Canon t3i audio problems

So I bought a Canon t3i, and the video quality is fantastic. The problem is that the audio options are awful. You can't monitor the audio while shooting, and if you plug in an external microphone it is only recorded on the left channel, leaving the right channel blank. Also no matter what mic you put into this thing the audio is always outrageously fuzzy. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a VERY CHEAP camera or audio recorder that I could use to just record the audio with. Mini DV will do fine, as long as it can record audio without a hassle.

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TankMedia View Post
    So I bought a Canon t3i, and the video quality is fantastic. The problem is that the audio options are awful. You can't monitor the audio while shooting, and if you plug in an external microphone it is only recorded on the left channel, leaving the right channel blank. Also no matter what mic you put into this thing the audio is always outrageously fuzzy. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a VERY CHEAP camera or audio recorder that I could use to just record the audio with. Mini DV will do fine, as long as it can record audio without a hassle.

Any suggestions?
    A Zoom H1 or H2 will do the job. I swear by my H2, but make sure you monitor the audio - it's very easy to mistake it for recording when it's just in pause mode (another ****-up today) The H2n, according to enc, doesn't have the same "press twice to record" function so is superior. The H4n or possibly the Tascam DR 40 would be required if you want XLR mic inputs.
    Tim

Do you prefer your Zoom to your juiced link box Tim ???? ................. just out of interest.

Understand that the juiced link requires no matching up of audio with visual in post like with the zoom/s.

Appreciate that is not a major difficulty with the clap technique you mentioned a while back

Just interested to know which you prefer or what situations are best suited to each (which I appreciate is probably why you have both).

Which would you choose to capture the audio for a interview (indoors) ???

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    A Zoom H1 or H2 will do the job. I swear by my H2, but make sure you monitor the audio - it's very easy to mistake it for recording when it's just in pause mode (another ****-up today) The H2n, according to enc, doesn't have the same "press twice to record" function so is superior. The H4n or possibly the Tascam DR 40 would be required if you want XLR mic inputs.
    How is the on board mic on the Zoom? I will most likely be using a shotgun, I'm just curious.

I suppose you put in a mono mic? Have you tried any stereo mic so that left and right channel are being used?

Let me know if that works!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TankMedia View Post
    How is the on board mic on the Zoom? I will most likely be using a shotgun, I'm just curious.
    Great for capturing ambient. I also use it in a dampened room for voiceover. But not suitable if you want focused sound (where yo'd use a shotgun)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Do you prefer your Zoom to your juiced link box Tim ???? ................. just out of interest.
    They really do different jobs.
    The Juiced link is basically giving my Camera the facility for better audio in - it has XLR inputs and a preamp and records onto the camera. This is what I use with my shotgun, either mounted on the camera or on a boom. I have also tested it (but not used it) with my Sure SM58 (a dynamic mic, favoured by rock bands/soundies since stone age times). One advantage is that I can change the levels with a knob, which can be very useful.

The Zoom is useful for capturing stereo ambient sound and is also useful in that it is inndependent from the camera. A common use is to hook it up to a lapel mic and drop the unit into the pocket of the speaker - much as one would with a wireless system. The advantage over wireless is less chance of interference. the disadvantage (and it's a big one) if you can't monitor the sound so you have to set it accurately to begin with and remember to put it in "record" mode!
    Tim