Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wrong trousers :)

Default The wrong trousers :)

A misleading title I know, but a similar story. Yesterday's wedding was the stuff all wedding and event video crews have nighmares about. We turned up at the wrong church - Argggh!!
    Despite our experience of filming hundreds of weddings all over the UK and our usual careful planning we not only turned up but I filmed the church interior and organised our positions before it dawned that maybe, just maybe, there wasn't a wedding at this particular church.
    This particular wedding was only booked 2 weeks ago and despite googling the small town where it was held, finding the only church where the vicar (a Canon) held the services, emailing the vicar explaining we were filming at the church I'd found and turning up in plenty of time, which included a leisurely lunch at a teashop across the road then sauntering into church for the prep shots, we decided hmmm something's fishy. No flowers in church (not unusual), but no sign of the musicians either, which I knew were booked and should have been there early too, I asked in a local shop and the lady confirmed there was no wedding there that day.
    From that point on - Turbo!!! Mad dash to pack and collect the gear then a rocket fueled 2 mile dash to the real church. Luckily this one, where the musicians were waiting outside, was still locked and we made it, breathless, and rocking with adrenalin, on time.
    So . . . The moral? - You can't beat turning up early, cause one day, the fickle finger of fate will play its hand.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I know how you felt. Same thing happened to me once. Most embarrassing, that eary silence that tells you somethings wrong. Normal service was resumed though at the right church in good time.

Glad it worked out Zero...... Could of been a real bad day. .........

I did it going to funeral .... not to film to attend ... two churches 1 mile apart ...wrong bloody church ...arrived just in time .... close one...

Cheers for the sympathy vote guys. I think the confusion arose because the vicar, who covers both churches, didn't spot my initial mistake when I mentioned the church by (the wrong one) name. It also didn't help that this was the VIP wedding of a 'Right hon'. A wedding packed with Lord and Lady's.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

And if you had turned up late to the first church...

Always arrive early if your being paid, or not at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    And if you had turned up late to the first church...

Always arrive early if your being paid, or not at all!
    ermm - someone else mentioned that earlier

Close call Zero, I suppose it just goes to show it can happen to the best of us. I knew there was a reason I don't do weddings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    ermm - someone else mentioned that earlier
    That he did Still good advice is worth repeating ( may educate people as to why clients might be less than happy )

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    That he did Still good advice is worth repeating ( may educate people as to why clients might be less than happy )
    Yep, can't have enough good advice. Not a bad record for us though 400+ weddings and only 2 potential cock ups. The first one, in our early years, was hilarious. I was instructing a trainee how to do weddings and after a leisurely drive to the church, I was showing her how to do the establishing shots. . . . Doh! no cam batteries cue, one raving lunatic dashing back to base for the power and another rushed start.

Filming weddings sounds very stressful ....... never upset a bride on her big day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast