Thread: Leaving VHS - bound for YouTube!

Question Leaving VHS - bound for YouTube!

Hello - I'm a near-complete newbie at digital video editing; took a course in Premiere at the local trade school about 8 years ago, and promptly forgot pretty much everything. So I beg pardon up front for my ignorance and any silly questions that may result. Here's my thing: I'm trying to help a friend dub about 60+ hours of video tape onto DVD, and from there get it into a format so that it's editable in Apple's iMovie. From there we want to get it into a format that will ideally work for either posting to YouTube or to burn to DVDs. From the aimless poking around I've done on line, I get the feeling that MP4 is the best end format for our end purpose, but I'm not even sure of that. I do know that the file type we're starting with (after the dubbing from VHS) is .vob, and I've had no luck getting iMovie to mess with that. So, if anybody has any suggestions on file types or software (been mucking around with AVCWare Video Converter Standard and Streamclip), or any advice of a step-by-step nature, it would be a truly major help. Thanks!

Hello and to the forum.

First of all there is no such thing as ignorance or silly questions here, so don't worry about posting any questions you have. We are all friendly here and there is a lot of expertise around the forum, we help each other and we all learn from it.

Do you have the converter that connects to your computer from VHS Player? These gadgets are widely available from most computer outlets.
    I use the Dazzle converter from Pinnacle systems and studio 12 editing software. Though Pinnacle is frowned upon around the forum. Sony Vegas seems to be the popular choice here. That said most video editing programmes these days allow you to automatically upload to YouTube and DVD'S straight from the software so you don't need to worry to much about file formats.

Hope this helps

Howdy, CaptionWorld - thanks for the enthusiastic welcome. Instead of the converter (I do remember those from the Premiere class), we have a Hulk. No, wait - that's the Avengers. No, what we have is a Toshiba DVR6520KU DVD/VHS recorder, which yields us discs with .vob, .ifo, and .bup files. I'm still looking around online trying to figure out what those files do and how they go together (and since my original post I've discovered that iMovie will import .vob files) - lots of partial and/or confusing answers. In the last 24 hours I've come to the private conclusion that our biggest challenge isn't so much the technical side, but a coherent idea of the final package we want to come up with. At this point it looks like we're trying to arrive at a single program of no more than 2 hours' duration, or...I don't know, some kind of multi-part production with a total runtime of anywhere from 12 to 24 hours (kind of up to my friend - he's the one who knows the material on the tapes; my job is to research the technical aspects and provide moral support). But, hey - look at me ramble on; thanks again for the warm reception!

So did you sort the file format problem for uploading to YouTube?