Thread: The Wow! Signal

Default The Wow! Signal

I have always been fascinated by the Wow! signal (my generation I guess), so I made a video about it.

This is my FIRST ATTEMPT at dialogue between more than one person, so it is a little rough in the audio department.

It is also rough in the video department but I have no excuse for that.

Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKJFYkajDuo

Zam
    Last edited by zamiotana; 05-19-2012 at 12:56 PM.

I've fixed the link for you HERE

I thought it started well but it kind of petered out. You had some good ideas but I thought they could have been executed better.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I've fixed the link for you HERE

I thought it started well but it kind of petered out. You had some good ideas but I thought they could have been executed better.
    I agree completely, however I'm not sure how to improve it (I can easily change the movie since all my videos are ongoing productions that I film with my wife and evolve over time).

If someone suggests an improvement, I'll try it and we can see!

I think it needs a severe trimming down by at least half, if not more. Once you get to the part of leaving the Geo thing you just spend far to long on each scene which makes the pace so slow I kept wanting to fast forward. I understand you wanted to have the Cloverfield home movie look but you have to keep it real. Digital video cameras don't have all that stuff happening when you turn them on like VHS recorders did.

The non existent script was noticeable in that it was obvious you were ad-libbing all the time but you didn't seem to take the role seriously, examples you were laughing when you heard the scary sound and you wife started running away, the lack of surprise when the picture changed on the newspaper, The total non reaction from your wife about the newspaper. These things really matter if you want the movie to be believable.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries

I think Midnight has nailed it. It's an interesting concept, if not particularly original, and well worth having a go at thsi style of thing, but rather like parodis, you absoliutely must play it straight. Your wife's screams and reactions were noticably better than your own
    Tim

Thank you for your feedback! I think I can apply it successfully except for the comment about the VHS effects -- I was looking for something that would show degradation of the video (since my wife transmits the footage from some far away planet, ostensibly thousands of light years away, and hence thousands of years in the past, in the last scene, probably using a $20 radio antenna from Wal Mart) but I'm not sure how that degradation should really look -- hence the horizontal hold, vertical hold and "snow" effects that I introduced. I saw the Cloverfield II trailer and it has some nice digital video corruption (due to the camera getting banged around in the plane), but I'm not sure that this is how an interstellar video signal would really be degraded. My wife thought that the degradation should actually be worse in order to convince people that it is really the contents of some interstellar radio signal.

Loved the first minute .... you really had my attention.
    But from there to 4 minutes plus (ie) before saw something in the field I lost interest .....
    I thought the idea was good (ie) Blair Witch , Cloverfield etc etc ... but like the guys said not the best script or acting .....sorry

However liked how you used the camera and effects in parts.

Real shame for me because like I said the first min was excellent you had me but I lost interest as time went on.

You have the talent ..... imagination, camera work etc etc ..... better script, acting and you are way

Good luck with your next project.