Thread: replacement for panasonic sd700 - wired remote control req'd

Default replacement for panasonic sd700 - wired remote control req'd

I've been using my panasonic sd 700 for some time and absolutely love it however recently i've been wanting to start using these handheld frames etc for additional support, light, mic etc.

I want to find a camcorder that is on par with the quality/price/ of the sd700 but that allows a wired remote control, so i can mount the remote control on the handle of the frame rather than have to take one hand off and use the controls on the camcorder.

i look forward to your reccomendations

Blog Entries

Don't get your hopes up, Mike. I'm not aware of anything in that sort of price range with wired remote. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.
    We had a similar problem with our projector at our video club. The projector is at the front of the hall, but the projection team stay at the back. The remore was infra-red (no wired option) which worked but was unreliable because of people getting in the way of teh signal. Our techie's built a cheap solution - an infrared sensor mounted by the production team attached via a cable to a couple of infra-red LEDs attached to the infra red sensor o the projector. Whilst it's fairly small, I suspect it would still be a bit clunky for your needs. If interested, I could get details/circuit diagram.
    Tim

You can get 3rd part remotes like this Manfrotto, I don't know for sure if it's compatible with your camera but this will give you a starting point to look further.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You can get 3rd part remotes like this Manfrotto, I don't know for sure if it's compatible with your camera but this will give you a starting point to look further.
    No it won't be. That's the issue. Consumer cameras do not come with connections for wired remotes. It's a bit of a pig or I'd get one myself. But, along with XLRs, these are the sorts of thigs they simply leave out to keep the costs down as they're limited appeal.
    See this also.
    Tim

That's a bummer, my old GS200 has got a wired remote, I'll swap that for his SD700.

It looks like the OP is going to have to go for something in the used market. When I was looking at this kind of thing I found Canon & Sony had more options that Panny because they developed the technology for it or something like that. May be something like a used Sony Z1 could be gotten in this price range.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    That's a bummer, my old GS200 has got a wired remote, I'll swap that for his SD700.
    My GS400 too, but the downside of those is it uses the mic socket, rendering the use of an external mic impossible. OK you and I would use external digital recorders, but if you haven't got that facility ..... :(
    Tim