Thread: Software to Add News Effects

Default Software to Add News Effects

Hello,

I'm currently working on a school project, with the final product to be something like your nightly local news broadcast. I am specifically wondering if there are any programs (preferably free) that allow me to add the bars near the bottom of the screen that news stations have, introducing the speaker. (would say something such as "Joe Shmoe - Union Leader") Googling different search terms gives nothing because I'm not even sure what to call it.

Thanks!

They're called "Lower Thirds" I'm sure you'll find more by googling that, what NLE are you using?

David.

Blog Entries

Just adding to David's comment .. the reason he's asking what NLE (= Non-Linear Editor = your editing software) you're using is because it is more than likely you've already got the tools to add a basic lower third. Those used in this were very easily done - one colour band and a gradient colour band above it two colour bands (though the animated logo required and additional plug-in.) I used Sony Vegas Pro but the consumer version Vegas Movie Studio is more than capable.

There are quite afew sites which allow you to download some for free.

Just for fun I signed up to Videoblocks for the 7-day free trial and they have a selection (I mainly signed up to get a selection of music) but there's plenty out there.

Animated ones are nice, but be very careful that they fit with your newsroom image, so don't overdo the animation.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    They're called "Lower Thirds" I'm sure you'll find more by googling that, what NLE are you using?

David.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Just adding to David's comment .. the reason he's asking what NLE (= Non-Linear Editor = your editing software) you're using is because it is more than likely you've already got the tools to add a basic lower third. Those used in this were very easily done - one colour band and a gradient colour band above it two colour bands (though the animated logo required and additional plug-in.) I used Sony Vegas Pro but the consumer version Vegas Movie Studio is more than capable.

There are quite afew sites which allow you to download some for free.

Just for fun I signed up to Videoblocks for the 7-day free trial and they have a selection (I mainly signed up to get a selection of music) but there's plenty out there.

Animated ones are nice, but be very careful that they fit with your newsroom image, so don't overdo the animation.
    Thank you guys so much. Just having the name helps a lot. Regarding the NLE, I have some experience with Movie Maker, and have discovered the free trial Sony offers on all its video editors. If I want to use Sony, I should just use Movie Studio instead of Vegas Pro (I assume easier learning curve)? I'm open to any trial/free product as long as it doesn't leave a watermark.

It's been a long time but I don't recall Windows Movie Maker having any lower third graphic capabilities and no second video track to overlay pre-built lower thirds. Adobe Premiere Pro has a trial version, has the capabilities and comes with a good number of preset lower thirds, but it could be a bit of a learning curve.

Tim, or many others around here, are going to have to help with Sony, I've never used any Sony NLE's.

David.

Down load the 30 day free trial of Vegas Studio, it is the full version no water marks etc. Familiarise your self with it, then follow the tutorial HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Down load the 30 day free trial of Vegas Studio, it is the full version no water marks etc. Familiarise your self with it, then follow the tutorial HERE
    Awesome guys. While I'm at it, might as well ask this too. Is there also a specific name for the PIP (Picture-in-picture) icons that show up new to an anchors head when they introduce a news story?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by inverted25 View Post
    Awesome guys. While I'm at it, might as well ask this too. Is there also a specific name for the PIP (Picture-in-picture) icons that show up new to an anchors head when they introduce a news story?
    In my Fire of London video they were called "Ye PiP"

Seriously, I've not come across a special name for them. They're no different from any other dort of PiP (which Vegas Movie Studio handles with ease, by the way)
    Tim