Thread: kickstarter video producer wanted

Default kickstarter video producer wanted

HI,

I have a startup that needs funding and I'm going to put my project on kickstarter.com to raise some.
    I need someone to create a video which will look good and creative because the idea is also creative.Vid also needs a female voice probably for narrating.
    Vid is for 1-2 mins so its not a huge task.

No money is to be given unless we get funded and then payment would be generous (we will discuss about it upfront).
    Willing to e-sign an agreement about this so your money is guaranteed if we get funded,otherwise its just recognition of your work , sorry but we are on the same page here

PM me if interested,
    aris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arisgi View Post
    Vid is for 1-2 mins so its not a huge task.
    How can you say that?
    TV commercials are 15 or 30 seconds and are massive tasks.
    Tim

HI,
    Willing to e-sign an agreement about this so your money is guaranteed
    So if you receive no funding, How am I going to be paid? If you sign a contract with me, I expect to deliver my end ( the video ) and you should deliver your end, Why should I spend the labour time producing something that probably won't have any payment? You'd probably be better off seeking a face to face contact who might be willing to negotiate with you on this, Internet arrangements like this are extremely dodgy.
    I must ask....are you based in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    How can you say that?
    Lack of experience, Clearly.

HI,
    I need someone to create a video which will look good and creative because the idea is also creative.Vid also needs a female voice probably for narrating.
    Have you written a storyboard up and script for said video?

you guyz are so friendly im amazed.

2 things are obvious:
    1) 1-2 mins is way better than 1 hour hence "not a big task" and of course 30'' are sometimes huge tasks but im looking for something like
    MaKey MaKey: An Invention Kit for Everyone by Jay Silver — Kickstarter without so much cast (could be done without anyone just fingers etc showing) and shorter.

2) first of all i have experience in the business field, im 32 and i have been a director at a technology institute.
    e-signing an agreement is what keeps both internet-met parties secure from fraud.

the whole point of working and getting paid only if we get funded is that you will get three or four times more than your regular payment. Its a bet, and usually with positive expectation because projects like mine get funded more than 20% of the time.

id like to hear other misunderstandfings/whinnings but, i'm really working on the project.
    if someone wants to seriously give it a try PM me.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    So if you receive no funding, How am I going to be paid? If you sign a contract with me, I expect to deliver my end ( the video ) and you should deliver your end, Why should I spend the labour time producing something that probably won't have any payment? You'd probably be better off seeking a face to face contact who might be willing to negotiate with you on this, Internet arrangements like this are extremely dodgy.
    I must ask....are you based in the UK?

Lack of experience, Clearly.

Have you written a storyboard up and script for said video?

Blog Entries

This is a "sticky" at the top of this section. Not all of it applies to you but it should explain our attitude. (I assume you read it before posting).

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Recently there have been a number of requests for videomakers to help out on projects. A lot of these requests are based on the belief that videographers sit at home, twiddling their thumbs, too dim to think of their own projects. As a result, we jump for joy at the chance to work for nothing.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

"Challenging" someone to make a video isn't the way to do it. If I feel the need to make a music video for free I'm not going to put weeks of effort into a project for someone who doesn't appreciate my skills and thinks that I have nothing better to do.

Let's have a reality check. I have never booked a crew member based on a youtube video, nor have any of the music companies done that (despite their publicity, geared to give them "street cred" with the punters). So, in other words, a youtube video isn't going to start anyone's career and as soon as the band gets enough money to make a decent video, they're going to employ professionals, not some bloke who did a youtube freebie. Likewise, a freebie music video on a CV is a waste of time when it comes to working in "the industry" (God, how I hate that term), it comes in the "hobbies" category and, although it shows that you have an interest in videomaking, it will not help your career in any way.

In the same way, there are dozens of "producers" who come up with ideas for a youtube series, internet tv or suchlike. These are often people who don't want to risk maxing out their credit cards, getting a bank loan or borrowing off their friends. However they are quite happy to get videographers to risk time and money on a project which, statistics show, won't make money. At the moment less than one percent of internet start-ups make enough money to enable one person to live from their earnings. Even less make enough to pay anyone else. (This is based on the hours invested compared with working flipping burgers, you"ll earn more per hour at McBurger than running a website).
    Even more interesting, according to my union, whereas the percentage of producers making a profit from their initial project is running at about 10%, the number of crew earning from such projects is less than one percent.

This is a bitch of an industry.

In other words, a camera/sound/editor working on a "potential" money-maker has a one in a hundred chance of getting any money from the producer. I'm not saying that novice producers are bastards, on the contrary, I suspect that most of them honestly believe that their project will make money. Unfortunately, that isn't the case and even if some cash does arrive, we all know that the producer will pay off his debts before sharing the rest.

Having ideas is easy. I have at least one money-making idea a week. It's putting the ideas into practice which is the hard part especially as the world doesn't tend to act the way you think when it comes to paying for internet content.

So, if you come on this forum looking for people to work for you, for nothing. Seduce us. Give us a clue about your project. Tell us your track record. Have you learnt from mistakes you've made or is this your first project? Show us your website. If you're serious you will have some sort of internet presence to show potential investors. If you can't be bothered to bung up some sort of homepage to show your crew, why should we invest time and money in someone who can't even get that together?

Oh, and don't give the "I can't tell you in case someone nicks my idea" bullshit. Sorry, nice try, doesn't wash.

In the same way, be honest and upfront. If you are an amateur, with no experience who is looking for people to work on an idea which might work, then say that. You will find that most of the regulars here understand what it's like starting out and will gladly offer help and advice. If you pretend to be a "producer" without the skills to back up your claim, the regulars will suss you out and rip you to shreds.

So, to sum up. We're not against working for nothing per-se but we expect to be shown your track record, your project and your budget openly.
    In other words, you are taking a risk in order to earn money. If you win, then you get your project financed, if you lose you get nothing. For the videographer the risk is much greater and the rewards far less. If you don't get your financing, the videographer has worked for nothing, if you do "win" then the videographer gets paid. Not exactly a win-win scenario for the videographer is it?

sure i understand that its a win-win for me but i already took my share of "Free" working when i was busted programming/researching the project for months. thats what my partner will also do if he makes a video and in effect be a shareholder if we get funded. Sounds about right to me but noone is pointing guns to anyone here. Ppl just propose. I have worked in 2 startups that didn't get funding for many hours but hey, if they did like others i'd have a huge income now. Risk taking is not for all people.

Verkil - create is my site, the idea if you can grasp from the howto is actually a way to end copyright issues, especially for guyz like you and amateur music makers.
    it is what is lacxking from creative commons. you drop the file and you have it copyrighted for court.

now i repeat, if someone wants to be part, do it.

Blog Entries

Now we've got a bit more idea about what's involved.
    You haven't answered Bpotter's question about whether you've got a storyboard - that would give us even more of an idea. Or are you looking for creative input as well - ie someone to come up wuth the concept for the video. And we've got an idea of the concept. Now risk takers might be interested, but f you need creative input this is a very big risk.

You'll be aware that one cannot copyright an idea. So suppose someone takes you up on this and produces a video. You like the concept and maybe even like the video. But rather than pay "three or four times more than your regular payment" it's beneficial to you to take that concept/story to someone else and get them to make the video.

This is why Bpotter suggested that these sort of deals are much better done face to face.

Please excuse our caution, but forums like this are littered with stories of people doing the work and not being paid. This is why all professionals demand (and receive) most, if not all payment up front.
    Tim

yes ive got a storyboard but its relaxed with creative input welcome.
    It's true i could take the concept story and/or video and hand it over to someone else but why would i do this, i mean ill go to another forum and start all over again e-sign papers etc to gain what? a discount from creator B?
    face to face is good i agree when you have people you know the subject but i have none. In my area only marriage photographers work and other pro studios are just into tv commercials and demand very high payments which i cannot give.

I hope someone likes the idea cause its ground breaking and very helpful to the overall creative community and cooperate with me thats all.
    "Please excuse our caution, but forums like this are littered with stories of people doing the work and not being paid. This is why all professionals demand (and receive) most, if not all payment up front."

thats why i made it very clear in my first post that it is probable that you dont get paid the project is like helping the open-source world and creative individuals and if thousands of ppl work for linux and other projects, i find some hours of video editing worth it , with the extra possibility of getting a good paycheck.

thanks

My choice to offer my own services can be based on the likelyhood that I would make money. But, there is very little information about the intended webservice, so I cannot judge how successful it will be. The current explanation about users uploading files and receiving authenication files is very clear. But not how these authenication files will be of the slightest use if, for example, your company ceases to trade. I would expect you to be able to give details of any higher authority who would continue to honour or verify them. I would want more about the level of intended encryption or quality of keys. At the moment, I don't know what is "ground breaking" about the idea or how the work could help the open source community. I would not even look at the proposed storyboard until these matters were clearer. But thanks for the offer.

let me explain the project:
    my website is based on *already* established protocols by ANSI and EU (it says so in the howto). The encryption is of highest security (SHA-256 minimum) with cryptographic servers.
    Noone has a service right now that makes it easy for users to do this except for private companies with bulk preorders of "stamps" etc.

Im putting the project on kickstarter so i can do these things:
    1)get offices
    2)hire 2-3 people more (one of them should be a UX/UI designer) we are two programmers for now
    3)get the code validated from a third party as must be according to ANSI
    4) get IBM cryptographic servers that will do hardware encryption

if the company ceases to exist no problem, the database keys are open to the public and a whole transfer database can be done to another provider who can verify the authenticity.

ground breaking is the idea that you make a video, and you dragndrop the file to the server *without* it being uploaded on the server (just the hash) and then you can prove in court or any other case worldwide that you had the file in your posession at the specific time n date.
    this is of tremendous importance to all people that create digital (or otherwise) work and the send it to multiple recipients or can be subject to fraud like sending designs to prospective interested parties and be scared that they will keep them like theirs.
    think about:academia (phd papers etc,musicians sending to labels,video artists,amateur directors,company designs etc,programmers that get screwed by their companies) etc etc the list is endless.

this site is for guyz like you me and everyone on this board.