Thread: holographic hud

Default holographic hud

hi,

I am new to video editing and this is my first project made in after effects after I watched some tutorials. Please let me know what you think.

For the 'raw' footage I mounted a gopro camera on a RC plane and flown around my house.

Job

It looked good to me. What area where you considering feedback about?
    I see a great example of using a gopro, two panels with information, and a strange red ring (which I could not imagine what it was).
    I very much liked the fast changing 'Information' panel. The immediate "effect" was that I supposed you had actually linked the craft's height etc to visible values in the shot. But seconds later, I wondered what the values were representing. But the trick worked briefly on me, so I was happy.
    I am not sure how you set AE to show you the fast changing values. There are, I know, 100 ways to do it; but I am curious whether your were considering using real life values from external sources, such as motion tracking or digital records from other instruments. I fancy seeing a clip with a HUD overlay, showing the aircraft's roll/pitch/yaw. Some of that data could be provided from AE's Tracking facility.

Thanks for the feedback that red ring is a kind of targeting system so I shows the information about the building on which the red ring it is placed.

For the fast changing information panel and the loading percentages I used the wiggle effect.

The immediate "effect" was that I supposed you had actually linked the craft's height etc to visible values in the shot. But seconds later, I wondered what the values were representing.
    I tried to first let the values be calculated (so it is just random crap generated by the wiggle effect) and then I filled in some values which I taught would be close to the actual height of the plane and my house. Those "actual values start at 0:04.

I fancy seeing a clip with a HUD overlay, showing the aircraft's roll/pitch/yaw. Some of that data could be provided from AE's Tracking facility.
    I gonna try that when I have time (I am in the middle of my finals the coming weeks)

Job

4. Default

I don't have much to comment on your AE skills, but design wise there is quite some room for improvement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arteology View Post
    I don't have much to comment on your AE skills, but design wise there is quite some room for improvement.
    It might help if you gave the OP some idea of in what way you think it could be improved and/or what you didn't like about what he'd done.
    Tim

6. Default

Sorry for leaving it the halfway. I just thought that this is the section for special effects so didn't went on to elaborate on that. But since doing an HUD has a lot with designing the interface itself, so i just mentioned the point.
    i would suggest to choose a better typeface. The current font feels a bit corny.
    It would be good if you could give each section of the text a bit more breathing space, currently it feels a bit crammed between one another. try to add more contrast between the background and the text. The letters are almost merging with the edge of the HUD, specially when it comes in front of the clouds.
    Also i almost didn't notice the red circle the first time, i don't know if it was because of the lack of separation between the circle and the background or because i was more concentrated on reading the content. What you can do is link the circle and the content box with a line or something so that they feel connected.
    i would also suggest you to add more detailing to it, like those meters, gauges, grids, arrows and few other small things which keeps moving here are there for don't know what reason, but makes it look at lot more cooler. But since this is just your first project i wouldn't really complaint about that.
    You could also have a look at many good examples of HUDs online or any good shooter or racing games and try to take a cue from those. I personally look at interfaces from games like Crysis or Call of Duty for references if i have to design something like this.
    I am in no way an expert in design myself, but here is just my few cents with what i have learnt so far.

Well thanks for the tips and critism In about a week or 3 I hope can shoot footage again so I could practice my editing skills. I already have an Idea for my next video stay tuned.