Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slimbob's Very Last Light Test !!!!

Smile Slimbob's Very Last Light Test !!!!

Hi Guys

Lots of testing is behind me which has taken a while because I have to set up my portable studio ,get cat make up on and film myself for each test ....very time consuming but well worth it !!!

Can only do on weekends so has taken a while I know.

Everything is the same as the last test except different up light bulbs as the previous ones (GLS 60w 6500k daylight incandescent) are now obsolete and I can't get any more to stock pile!

I think it is fate as the replacement bulbs in my opinion are a much better choice.

So now I am using PAR 38 blue bulbs and I need your help/recommendations on how many to use and what distance.

once I know next weekend I will be doing my last test combing this look with movement and audio and last but not least a before and after comparison (before joining DD and now after with yours guys help).

Can't wait to show you the before and after improvement!!!!

Any feedback is much appreciated as always guys.

The videos is below and only short (ie) a couple of minutes.

Blog Entries

These tests are looking really good now Bob. We can still improve a tad on brightening your face, but David has committed to a lifetime of doing post on your productions!The time spent has been well worth it.

My own preference is for four lamps at four inches. I don't particularly care for the curtains disappearing into nothingness towards the top of the screen with the other lamps, but that's only personal opinion.
    Tim

Thanks for the feedback as always Tim .
    yes I am really chuffed with what I have managed to achieve with all your guys help!!!

At least we agree on the 4 lamps

Plus you guys were right the 2.4/2.8 iris seems a good compromise as my shirt isn't burning out too much and like you said my face can be lightened in post.

I take on board your opinion of a more full lit curtain Tim I personally liked the colour change but I very much appreciate your feedback and personal opinion as you know.

I will have another look again

Thanks a million Tim

P.s - Thanked your post but doesn't seem to show like in the past (ie) appears if I haven't thanked you ?????? Or is this just me ????
    Last edited by slimbob; 05-14-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    I take on board your opinion of a more full lit curtain Tim I personally liked the colour change but I very much appreciate your feedback and personal opinion as you know.
    You could always try to light it the other way - so that the brighter part is at the top and it fades towards the bottom (actually i think you said you don't have enough height)

With the lights below (fading to black as we go up) we have a lot of lighter bits at the bottom of teh screen - you/your shirt is a white expanse taking up 75% of the width of the screen. By the time we et up to your head, you are less well lit and narrower and the curtains only half lit (with the 7" setting). When we get to the top, there's no you and no curtain.

I just like the idea of the backgound going from bright to dark in contrast to you. But as I say, it's only a matter of preference.
    Tim

Tim thanks very much for explaining your reason for your preference.
    Your thinking seems sensible to me and makes good sense.

My initial preference was a more gut feeling artistic look but after all I am shooting comedy so in fairness a well lit curtain is probably more appropriate.

Yes I am restricted with height for reverse look but could try on last testing day.

I am definitely open to the more lit curtain option ....interesting to see what the other guys think too.

Cheers Tim

Good choice on the 4 lights, I'd go with the 4" from the chair too, but I don't mind the look of the 7" one. Something I'd try out of curiosity is to have them at the 7" from the chair position but pointing up at bit of a steeper angle to see if they're strong enough to raise the intensity further up on the curtain.

But I feeling I'd still go with the way you have it set at the moment 4" from the chair.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 05-14-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    Good choice on the 4 lights, I'd go with the 4" from the chair too, but I don't mind the look of the 7" one. Something I'd try out of curiosity is to have them at the 7" from the chair position but pointing up at bit of a steeper angle to see if they're strong enough to raise the intensity further up on the curtain.

But I feeling I'd still go with the way you have it set at the moment 4" from the chair.

David.
    Thanks as always David for your insight....
    At least we all agree with 4 lamps !!
    Yes as you and Tim both favour the 4 inch version I will very strongly consider it .
    Tim also mentioned the reverse look (brighter at the top of the curtain) and now you too so I will experiment in my last test next week just to see.... basically there now !

Made up!!!

Thanks again David much appreciated

It looks like the 4 bulbs at 4" from the chair is the consensus and I don't disagree. Tims observation was a good one as usual and it would be interesting to see if Davids Suggestion of trying to get the Par lights to point higher but after looking at it in the small YouTube window and then full screen 32", I don't think it really matters. I don't want to through a spanner in the works at this stage but thought the back light looked a bit hotter than I remember. Was there anything different with them ?

Anyway, I think it's looking really good.

Hello Midnight (secret master) Blue
    Thanks for dropping by and helping me as per normal.
    Great so 4 lamps it is and also it seems 4 inch is looking the best option ....... on my last test next week I will try pointing up a bit just to see.
    The back lights are the same but I pointed them down or slightly more direct shining on me.
    Did you think they looked worse compared to past MB??

I have stock piled all my bulbs (brands) so loads of footage ahead of me with same standardised look.... hurray!!!!!

Please tell me the secret .....friend.......

If I know I may sleep better as my back is sore now .

Yes you are right l always find my Christmas presents and open them before Christmas....... it's a disease...

I think it looks ok but the back light looked a bit too strong for my personal taste but that's not really an issue, I prefure the Beatles over the Rolling Stones. Oasiss over Blur and dogs over cats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast