Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Required: Zach Tromp "Lost", A visual metaphor by Ryan Pinkall

1. Default Feedback Required: Zach Tromp "Lost", A visual metaphor by Ryan Pinkall

hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, figured i'd start with my most recent project i finished up as a final project at Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota Florida. Video is a "visual metaphor" by florida artist Zach Tromp. Tromp finds himself struggling through what is metaphorically the course of life, focusing on the uncertainties and how the path of life could lead you anywhere but ultimately ending up isolated. Enjoy!

Zach Tromp- "Lost" (Prod. by Felly) (Official Video) - YouTube

Enjoy!
    I love the irony of that.

Not sure what else you could have done with this. I think it works. I can't say it really moved me be for what it was you did a good job.

3. Default

appreciate it! for what it's worth, i just completed my freshman year so i'm happy with it for my age i think. Only thing that bugs me is i didn't fix some of the colors before the release :( like the over exposed sky in the forest scene and its tinted too green

Quote Originally Posted by rjp18 View Post
    i just completed my freshman year so i'm happy with it for my age i think. Only thing that bugs me is i didn't fix some of the colors before the release :( like the over exposed sky in the forest scene and its tinted too green
    What age is freshman, 18?

I liked it but I thought you could have honed it in a bit. First off, I wouldn't have just fixed the over exposed sky and the green in that scene, I would have given the whole video a grade, even a really simple pre-set like a bleach bypass would have given this a gritty, real feel, which would have suited the video nicely I think and would have given it a more filmic, less videoy look.

Also, if you look at other music videos (and I do understand about trying to be different) you'll see that there's usually a recurring theme/scene, which evolves throughout the piece. I think that your strongest image was him walking out to sea at the end, you could have used this by showing him walking towards that beach at various points in the video, shot so as you're not sure what he's doing or what's going on in the scene. Then right at the end get him to strip down to at least, his non-see through boxers, or even totally naked and get a shot of him running/walking into the sea from behind.

But all in all a good attempt and I can see that if you keep at it, you'll develop your art and get much, much better, keep shooting dude!

Video Production Services Company UK London

Blog Entries

[WARNING: This is unbelievably subjective]

Couldn't watch it. The "music" annoyed me so much. It just really grated. Horrible.
    So then I thought I'd watch it without the sound.
    Much better
    The shots with the fire were really good, just the character backlit. Nice. Then the shots along teh freeway - nice contrast between the brightly lit road & cars and the pavement and talent in silhouette. I didn't personally like the look of the "jungle" so much and this seemed to drag on for a bit and then we saw the guy stripping off and my default position with someone who is covered in tatoos like that is to assume they are ignorant and can't be bothered with social norms so I'm never going to empathise.
    So, I think you have some talent in making videos, but 'd like to see that talent put to use with different material.
    Tim

default position with someone who is covered in tatoos like that is to assume they are ignorant and can't be bothered with social norms so I'm never going to empathise
    Totally agree Tim, my wife has tattoos and we all know what she's like.

7. Default

well midnight, seems like that's a personal problem with your judgement to me, you can't take anyone with tats seriously? haha i have three and you liked my video man. And that's just your music preference, a ton of people are into that style so if you're not, hey, doesn't hurt us one bit. And as for re-occuring shots in music videos, i think it's pretty obvious we went out of our way to make sure there wasn't, it's a great suggestion, however it wasn't my aim. i wanted one continuous sequence of him running, so that's what i did

Appreciate the comments good or bad, as long as you guys appreciate my intentions and don't judge people with how they look. ever. take this picture for example:
    http://obstacol.com/wp-content/uploa...scriminate.jpg

So, all in all good comments from everyone so far! besides the ignorant ones about discrimination, you're all on point. And i'm only 19 by the way. thanks everyone!

you can't take anyone with tats seriously?
    No not anyone, just my wife.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjp18 View Post
    and don't judge people with how they look. ever. take this picture for example:
    http://obstacol.com/wp-content/uploa...scriminate.jpg
    I was careful to say my default position. It's my starting point. I'm happy not to judge someone by how they look, but as the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Looks count - I'm not talking about whether someone happens to be "good looking" or "ugly", but things over which one has a choice - like clothes and tatoos. If I see someone covered with tatoos, my reaction is "Why would they choose to do that to themselves". So, rather than starting from a neutral position, my first reaction would be - as per the link you posted - yes, a delinquent. It need only take a second for me to realise they are not, but they could have started from a neutral position.

Yes, it's discrimination. But it's discrimination against something which offends me over which you have a choice. There's no difference between this and the way I might discriminate against someone who punctuates every sentence with swearing.

So, can you understand the reason for my comment that without any other information, I am not going to empathize with the character with tatoos.

(BTW my own daughter - no, not the 7 year old! - has a couple of tatoos and I love her to bits. Hate the tatoos though)
    Tim

10. Default

that's understandable, and i do respect that. but if you listen to some of his other music, whether you enjoy it or not, his messages in his songs are something i have all the respect in the world for, honesty. and part of the reason he has so many tattoos is because his girlfriend happens to be a MULTI AWARD WINNING tattoo artist, beating out hundreds of others in tattoo conventions while at the same time being the youngest of all of them. Im also proud to call them both my roomates. Unfortunately i cant link you because im on my mobile :/ but if you youtube "zach tromp stay gold" maybe thats more your style, he actually made sure to hit a song for every demographic on his most recent project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast