Thread: What software (on Windows) can be used to align dual-recorded audio?

Question What software (on Windows) can be used to align dual-recorded audio?

Hi, I have a camera with a fairly poor audio (and no mic jack) and so record audio separately through a Tascam recorder and a Rhode mic (resulting in a .wav). This means I have to align the better audio with that recorded by my camera in my editor (Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus), before muting the poor stuff so I end up with decent sound. This is quite time consuming and I would really like some software to do this for me. I am fairly new to this (and this forum!) so would really appreciate the details! Here's a video I made with the manual audio alignment which I stuck up on youtube Engaging with Easter, ish - YouTube (in case you're interested - which you're probably not) and I think the results are okay but it took so long.
    It would also be great of the software let you use it from the command line because I would like to automate it with my existing (custom) software.

Thanks for your time!

Blog Entries

Firstly, much credit to you for understanding that you need better sound than an on board camera mic.

Surely Magix Movie Edit Pro shows the waveform of your audio tracks on the timeline - you simply align these.

A couple of tips.
    1. At the begining of each take, clap your hands. This will create a sharp, easily identifiable spike in the middle.
    2. If you're recording a lot of scenes in the same location, leave the camera and recorder rolling. Line them up on the timeline and then start to edit. (Alternatively lie them up, mute the bad audio and render out lots of shorted files which you then import into another project)

If you're going to do this a lot (sounds like you are) and are prepared to spend a bit then this software is pretty much what you are after - though I don't think you can run it from a command line.
    Tim

agree, but on listening to the clips I sense the audio sounds as though it's been recorded separately, so be careful that the "better recording" includes "atmosphere" - ie when recording in the street, it should sound like a street-scene.
    This can be done by getting everyone to be quiet and recording say 1min. This can be used to balance the whole sound-scape. Indeed even if the on-camera audio isn't good, there is no reason you can't mix the good as well.

Don't know Magix, but this is relatively easy in Vegas Studio - either by a track master-vol. OR by Rubber-banding the levels throughtout the film.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    I sense the audio sounds as though it's been recorded separately, so be careful that the "better recording" includes "atmosphere"
    Thanks for the feedback - I will bear that in mind. I think the lack of atmosphere comes from my noise removal using Audacity - which takes away cars from a street for example - maybe I have used it a little too much.

Yes, I do currently do exactly what you describe with aligning the wave forms and indeed clapping my hands or clapper board - it does work well, albeit a little repetitive! I looked at the software and it is exactly what I need so thanks very much for that. I am now a broke student so probably won't buy it (at least not without grovelling for a discount) but I found this shenidam | Lightweight audio mapping for AV footage which is a free equivalent of DualEyes on Linux - so I thought I'd have a go at porting it to Windows which should be possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clemones View Post
    I found this shenidam | Lightweight audio mapping for AV footage which is a free equivalent of DualEyes on Linux - so I thought I'd have a go at porting it to Windows which should be possible.
    Excellent. I wish you luck with your endeavours.
    Tim

Another walk around would be to Capture your video LIVE, in your editing software, like a webcam. Connect your microphone to the computer's "mic input" and set your capture settings to get the audio from the computer instead of the camera.
    Its really simple.