Thread: How to render a video to be "full screen"?

Question How to render a video to be "full screen"?

When i'm render my videos, the output video is not as full screen. When i do a double click to be full screen, some black edges appear and the video keeps in the center of the screen. There is a way to render a video that when i do a double click it is a full screen? What configuration have i to do?

Blog Entries

This sound simply like the aspect ratio of the video you've created is different from the aspect ratio of the screen you're viewing it in. And/or the aspect ration of the source footage is different from the apect ratio of your project and/or file you're rendering to.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This sound simply like the aspect ratio of the video you've created is different from the aspect ratio of the screen you're viewing it in. And/or the aspect ration of the source footage is different from the apect ratio of your project and/or file you're rendering to.
    Where can i change the aspect ratio?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoni View Post
    Where can i change the aspect ratio?
    OK lets get down to basics.

If you open up your project, go to File | Properties and chose the "Video" tab
    Hover over the right-most of the little icons next to "Template". It should say "Match Media Settings"
    Click on it and in the Dialog box navigate to any of the pieces of media that you are using in the project (if you are using mixed media, choose the video which is most prevalent)

You "Properties" dialog will now show you height/width information along with pxel aspect ratio.

When you come to render, assuming you want your output to look like your input, make sure you use a template which matches those settings (Vegas might even put a little "=" sign next to thos options which do match).

To get the Picture aspect ratio (a opposed to the pixel aspect ratio) you divide the width by the height and then multiply that by the pixel aspect ratio (but you don't need to worry about all that as Vegas will take care of it for you)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    Tim

Would he also have to match the out put aspect ratio in the pan/crop tool. If his raw footage is 4:3 and his viewing screen is 16:9 this will crop the top and bottom of the image.

OK lets get down to basics.

If you open up your project, go to File | Properties and chose the "Video" tab
    Hover over the right-most of the little icons next to "Template". It should say "Match Media Settings"
    Click on it and in the Dialog box navigate to any of the pieces of media that you are using in the project (if you are using mixed media, choose the video which is most prevalent)

You "Properties" dialog will now show you height/width information along with pxel aspect ratio.

When you come to render, assuming you want your output to look like your input, make sure you use a template which matches those settings (Vegas might even put a little "=" sign next to thos options which do match).

To get the Picture aspect ratio (a opposed to the pixel aspect ratio) you divide the width by the height and then multiply that by the pixel aspect ratio (but you don't need to worry about all that as Vegas will take care of it for you)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Would he also have to match the out put aspect ratio in the pan/crop tool. If his raw footage is 4:3 and his viewing screen is 16:9 this will crop the top and bottom of the image.

Obs: yes, i'm a newbie with SV and video creation. ^^ xD

My original video has a 4:3. I create a new project NTSC Widescreen (720x480, 29,970 fps). With the pan/crop tool i put the video to be full sized with the Height/Width, so, now to render the video, there is a way to the output video be 16:9?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoni View Post
    My original video has a 4:3. I create a new project NTSC Widescreen (720x480, 29,970 fps). With the pan/crop tool i put the video to be full sized with the Height/Width, so, now to render the video, there is a way to the output video be 16:9?
    Right, now were getting somewhere.

It's not obvious from the above but you should be cropping the image with the pan and crop tool into a 16:9 frame so it looks like this:

pancrop.jpg

(Sorry that's not stunningly clear, but the dotted lines of the crop are within the photo, cropping the top and bottom of teh image)

Now when you render your video, you need to ensure you choose a template which is 16:9 (or widescreen)
    Tim

Right, now were getting somewhere.

It's not obvious from the above but you should be cropping the image with the pan and crop tool into a 16:9 frame so it looks like this:

pancrop.jpg

(Sorry that's not stunningly clear, but the dotted lines of the crop are within the photo, cropping the top and bottom of teh image)

Now when you render your video, you need to ensure you choose a template which is 16:9 (or widescreen)
    Nothing... when i render as WMV, the video still with the black edges on the vertical and horizontal...

There is another thing that i have to configure?

I try the following configuration:

1.Click on the file tab and go to Properties
    2.On the Video Tab, change the template to "NTSC DV Widescreen 720 X 480 (pixel aspect ratio 1.2121 - NTSC DV Widescreen)"
    3.Click on Render as, and pick "SONY AVC" file type
    4.Click on the "custom..." button
    5.Then, change the frame size to "High definition" (1920X1080)

So, with this configuration, i almost reach my problem. The video stay full sized, but there is a small line in the top, and the botton, with +-10 pixels.
    What i'm missing to reach the truly full sized video?

--UPDATE

To reach truly full sized video i marked the checkbox "Stretch video to fill output frame size (do not letterbox)", is it secure?
    Last edited by Ottoni; 05-11-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Well ok you found a solution so well done but it looks like where you are really going wrong is taking SD footage (720 x 480) and trying to render it in a HD size (1920 x 1080). If your original footage is of a certain size you should really render it the same size.