Thread: Speed modeling a Lightsaber hilt

Default Speed modeling a Lightsaber hilt

Hi guys.

I recently started learning 3ds Max. Here is time-lapse of me modeling lightsaber hilt in 12 minutes (it's squeezed to 1:30, but methods should be quite clearly visible). I'm planning to learn enough to include some 3d elements in my future videos.

Speed Modeling - Lightsaber Hilt - YouTube

I don't have any formal training in 3d modeling yet, so there might be some flawed techniques of downright grotesque mistakes, so apologies for that. Hope you guys found it interesting.

3D studio max is a very complex piece of software, so all credit to you for achieving this. I'm no lightsabre expert but it looks excellent! A friend of mine used to teach 3DS max to TV companies, so I know how deep you can go with textures and reflection maps etc.
    Keep it up, a very worthwhile piece of software to master.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I thought this was great. Makes it look so easy when you see it like this. But I know its not. The software does require a good deal of patience and practice but the results can be excellent. This is my next step to 3D. Software is OK but the computer isn't, I need to upgrade. Keep at it.

Kudos to you just for being brave enough to have a go with software like this. It looked good to me but might have looked better if it was a darker colour.

Very impressive !!!
    That looks complicated software

Sadly, the cost prohibits most folk from using 3D Max. (It can cost over 3,000, see http://store.autodesk.co.uk/DRHM/store).
    Happily, simple objects; such as a 'lightsaber' can be created using any number of cheaper modelling products.
    3dMax combines alot functions, from modelling objects, setting up animation and lighting, and the final rendering. I read the manual for a month before installing a time-limited version of 3dMax. I managed to create a short animation (youtube . com/watch?v=dgbo-aD1-q4) before the software expired. But, I cannot see myself ever using it again. As an amateur, I can't afford it.

Thanks guys, I didn't really expect to get this warm reception. Usually when posting 3d stuff to forums with professionals around, you tend to get more critique than encouragement and quite a few "you're doing it wrongs". Glad you liked it!

Yeah, 3ds Max can be quite expensive, but luckily enough I can use it for free for few years as a media engineering student. I probably would have used free software like Blender if it weren't for the student versions. I still don't know half the things that can be done with it, but learning new every time I work with it.

Thank you for encouraging words.

Behold, ancient dead returns from the dead. Didn't want to create a new thread for something that's almost identical to the video I posted here last year, so here we go.

I opened up 3ds Max for a first time in very long time. Turned out I was a lot more rusty than I expected, so I decided to scratch of some ice, rust and dust from my joints by creating yet another lightsaber. Lightsabers are usually quite easy and nice to model for few reasons;

-Relatively simple shapes
    -You can just make up the design as you go
    -There is not really "wrong" way to do one as long as it looks good.

So, as a practice, yet another 12 minute lightsaber modeling video squeezed into 1 minute time lapse. I recorded it just incase I actually come up with something nice looking. Not a masterpiece, but hey, waste none. Hope you enjoy, it's all very simple stuff. I really felt lost at couple of points "...now there was supposed to be a tool for this somewhere around here..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkTRSzl6O8M

As it's a similar post to your first one I'll give a similar reply to my last one.

Kudos to you just for being brave enough to have a go with software like this. It looked good to me but might have looked better if it was a darker colour.

Thanks, Midnight. It wasn't really textured or anything, so the color was just a color.