Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert HD video to burn onto an SD DVD

Default Convert HD video to burn onto an SD DVD

Hi all,

Sorry if there is another thread on this, I have searched but can't find anything.

I've just got a Sony NEX 7 camera that records in HD, but I don't have a blue ray burner/player. Is it possible to convert, downsize (I'm a newbie so not that familiar with the lingo!) the footage so I can burn it to an SD DVD?

The camera will record in the following AVCHD formats -

50i 24Mbps 1920x1080
    50i 17Mbps 1920x1080
    50p 28Mbps 1920x1080
    25p 24Mbps 1920x1080
    25p 17Mbps 1920x1080

It also records in MP4 format at 1440x1080 12Mbps

I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10

I guess what I'd like to do is edit the footage and get an HD .iso file so when I do upgrade my burner/player I can use the .iso file to burn to Blu Ray, but in the meantime get an SD DVD version to watch.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Yes Steve, this is very easy to do. Shoot the footage in HD edit on the time line and when it come to the render stage, select the mpeg2 formate and DVD Architect template. This will make an SD format file for you to put into DVD Architect. You could create a HD version and DVD Architect will convert it to put on a SD DVD. OR I think you can even burn a DVD right from Vegas if you want. If you save the project you can then go back to it and create a BluRay form the same project. Don't loose or move the original media files unless you know what you are doing or Vegas will not know where to find them again.

Hope this helps

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Yes Steve, this is very easy to do. Shoot the footage in HD edit on the time line and when it come to the render stage, select the mpeg2 formate and DVD Architect template. This will make an SD format file for you to put into DVD Architect. You could create a HD version and DVD Architect will convert it to put on a SD DVD. OR I think you can even burn a DVD right from Vegas if you want. If you save the project you can then go back to it and create a BluRay form the same project. Don't loose or move the original media files unless you know what you are doing or Vegas will not know where to find them again.

Hope this helps
    Thank you - it certainly does help. I'll give that a try. I'll do the render to mpeg2 and burn an SD DVD, then create an HD .iso image from the same project ready for when I get a BluRay recorder. Is it possible to create an HD .iso image? (I guess it is)

Steve

If you keep your project file you don't need a .iso file so you can save disk space. You can just make a .m2t file when you have a BluRay burner so long as you keep the original material. OR if you want you can make a HD version now to watch on your computer. There choice is your's. You can't actually make an .iso file directly in Vegas. My understanding is a .iso file is like a .zip or a .rar file so you would need a separate program to do that.

Yeah, if you are burning will DVD Architect. You can give it an HD file and it'll burn you a standard DVD. And once you have your blueray setup, choose Blueray on DVD Architect and I'll burn you a Blueray.....after you make the backup folder for the blueray project.

So all you need to render is the HD version and hold on to that.

Blog Entries

If you keep your project file you don't need a .iso file so you can save disk space.
    That rather depends on how much of the source video is actually used in the final edit.
    I would recomend rendering a completed "master" in the same format as the source footage. You can then junk (or archive) all the source footage and project files.
    Then create a simple project to create the DVD (using the mater as input). At a later date do the same to create a BD output.
    Tim

I suppose that depends on your normal working practise. I never junk any original footage as I've leaned that it could be needed later.

Blog Entries

I suppose that depends on your normal working practise. I never junk any original footage as I've leaned that it could be needed later.
    Neither do I - one of the benefits of tape .

But do you seriously just let your capture hard drive capacity grow and grow? Surely it makes sense to archive it onto external media. And, of course, Vegas has that wonderful facility where you can save a project with all it's media - just made for the job if you think you might want to come back to the project.
    Tim

Ah so, when you say junk you don't mean delete you just mean archive on to an external disk. Yes, that is what I do.

I think I got the wrong end of the stick.

Blog Entries

Ah so, when you say junk you don't mean delete you just mean archive on to an external disk. Yes, that is what I do.

I think I got the wrong end of the stick.
    Indeed, the clue was in the way I said "junk (or archive)" Perhaps I should have put it the other way round. I guess "archive" is something "other people" do because I automatically have one. It's a routine I'm going to have to get into once I move away from tape.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast