Thread: Can't even load .MOV files?

Default Can't even load .MOV files?

This is probably gonna be a stupid question since I'm still a bit of a novice at this, but hey, hopefully that means a quick fix...

So I was playing around with some files I recorded with my t2i earlier. They're in .MOV format, but they were working fine. For a while. Then I got the whole "no preview/black screen" problem, so I decided I should go convert my files or something. And so I put them through MPEG Streamclip, following some guides online. Now they're still in .mov form.
    Except when I go back to Vegas and try to import files...none of my .MOV (or .mov, if that makes a difference?) files show up. Neither the raw files from my t2i or the converted ones. As in, I can't even import them into Vegas because I can't find them (and I'm definitely looking in the right place). .AVI and .MP4 files still work fine as far as I can tell.

Is there some sort of codec I need or something? I realized that editing .mov files, even if they're "converted," might not be optimal, and I could just convert all my files to .mp4, but I'd rather not.

Edit: got another problem now. yay. The .mov files I have after using Streamclip are all audio-only. (Never mind. I'm really confused right now, but I can see video when I play them with Quicktime. I only get audio if I use VLC. Still can't open anything in Vegas though.)

Another edit: Alright, back to my original raw .MOV files. When browsing while importing files, I can now look at all files, so I can find the .MOV files. However, when I try to import them, I'm told that the file type is not supported. While I understand that .MOV is not exactly the best for editing in Sony Vegas, I was under the assumption that it's at least supported, especially because it was working just a few hours earlier...
    Last edited by electrolytic; 05-09-2012 at 06:27 AM.

It's hard for use to know what you did to kill the .mov files in Vegas, Have you thought of doing a system rest to a point before you had the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It's hard for use to know what you did to kill the .mov files in Vegas, Have you thought of doing a system rest to a point before you had the problem.
    That didn't help, but I decided to just reinstall Vegas and it's working fine...for now. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by electrolytic View Post
    That didn't help, but I decided to just reinstall Vegas and it's working fine...for now. Thanks.
    Blimey, aren't you the lucky one! I must have read hundreds of posts over the years where people say "Tried reinstalling Vegas, but that didn't help" and this is the first where it did.

Thanks for letting us know, and I'm glad you're sorted.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Blimey, aren't you the lucky one! I must have read hundreds of posts over the years where people say "Tried reinstalling Vegas, but that didn't help" and this is the first where it did.
    Haha, I would've reinstalled earlier but I told myself, "Hell, that can't be it...it's never it..."

And then of course that's it. Go figure.

If you had just installed Quicktime, that could have given you the right codec for the .mov files.

Quote Originally Posted by Solo619 View Post
    If you had just installed Quicktime, that could have given you the right codec for the .mov files.

Funny...that didn't help me though