Thread: Always rebooting

Default Always rebooting

After I've had a major rendering/encoding session with Adobe Premiere or Adobe Encore, I really have no option but to reboot the system as it gets disastrously slow - the desktop repaints itself at close to a line at a time. Given that I've got 512MB memory, should this be the case? I'd have thought, once I'd finished, that the system should become fully available to me. Am I a victim of 'memory leak'? I've checked under the PC but can't find any little pools of bits... Anything I could do to stop or mitigate the problem? Anyone else suffer the same problem?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

How many months ago did you install Windows?

SVHS: that's probably a very pertinent question. It'll be about a year... Tell me: to do any good, does it have to be a complete fresh reinstall on a reformatted hard drive, or would an over the top install do some good? The former, given the huge number of apps I'd have to reinstall, doesn't bear thinking about.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The former is sadly the best bet.

Although, a suggestion I thought of, which may or may not be a good idea, is install an second copy of windows on your PC used solely for viditing, though you'll probably have to make sure that any apps you install on the second installation are installed in a seperate directory than on the first installation.

That could get too confusing though :-/

I recommend a clean install.
    The good side is that you only have to backup data on your C: partition. So backup, format and reinstall Windows and all apps. The PC will be like flying.
    The bad side is that it takes half a day.
    Re-installing the system over a previous installation would be a waste of time, as the "new" installation will still contain the config files and settings in the previous installation, so it will work as slowly as the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe
    Although, a suggestion I thought of, which may or may not be a good idea, is install an second copy of windows on your PC used solely for viditing, though you'll probably have to make sure that any apps you install on the second installation are installed in a seperate directory than on the first installation.

That could get too confusing though :-/
    Well then you'd waste a lot of useful hard drive space, plus every time your computer boots up, you'd have to choose for an installation to run... and other disturbing and confusing situations.

I doubt that it is because of a lack of memory since I have 320 mb ram and it never really does this. Sometimes, when I close Premiere, it takes a little while to load the desktop but it stops after about 1-2 min.

likewise, i think im due for a backup, format and reinstall.

Blog Entries

1) Delete/Backup all those files you simply don't need anymore
    2) Buy O&O defrag
    3) Use it
    4) Get a new hardrdive and use that for storing all the crap
    5) Get another new harddrive and use that for capturing

Like everything in life, it's about management. I have all my files strictly ordered to maximise my productivity.

Like everything in life, it's about management. I have all my files strictly ordered to maximise my productivity.
    How did I just know that would be true?

Seriously, though: all crap removed to DVD/CD. Regularly defragged. One hard drive for non-viditing tsuff, one for viditing. Not sure what else I can do except - gulp... :cry: