Thread: Camera for photos and video

Default Camera for photos and video

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a camera that takes great photos but also great HD video, im always out and about shooting videos for contact sports, car racing, underwater for scuba diving, So I need a good quality compact camera that when taking film the focus is quick to react like a camcorder and not lagging (like on my Fuji finepix f500 exr).

The Sony Nex 5 has come in to mind or that style range as its compact but has all the key features i need plus the changeable lens to get a great zoom when taking film as well as photos.

My main questions is would this be the right camera for me (which I think itís a yes) but also which brand should I go for? And what accessories would be right for me (apart from underwater housing which I know).

I will be uploading to youtube but also making DVDís.

My current set up is;

Mac book pro with final cut pro
    Imovie (for the very quick videos I need to get out and online)
    Ipad
    Canon HV10 Ė which has been great but now bulky to camera around and tapes taking to long to process)
    Fuji finepix f500 exr Ė which takes great photos but the video lets it down due to the focusing.

Thanks

Kaz

While the NEX 5n is a nice camera for what it is. There might be some things to consider for example do you have any other brand of lens already ? Does the NEX have auto focus in video mode ? These a questions I don't have answers to but you should be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    While the NEX 5n is a nice camera for what it is. There might be some things to consider for example do you have any other brand of lens already ? Does the NEX have auto focus in video mode ? These a questions I don't have answers to but you should be looking at.
    thanks Midnight Blue

i dont have any lens but have been told i can get around 48 that will fit the NEX, regarding the focus i checked it out and it does focus quickly but im heading to a shop to try it out first hand with sd card and test.

I'm a big fan of Sony's HX9V. As its replacement is imminent Its heavily discounted at present.

in its class, Its video capabilities can not be beaten

HX9V and RedGiant CC - YouTube

First Snow - Sony HX9 Video - YouTube
    Last edited by enc; 05-02-2012 at 07:13 PM.

nikkon d7000 is a fantastic camera, love it