Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My longboarding edit

Default My longboarding edit

so my friends are really into longboarding and i myself am into filming, This is the start of a new season and i made a Traile/teaser ish type video for our upcoming seaosn, Please leave feedback
    <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDXQ-hKiTR8&amp;list=UUiWlos7dinfTIyhqTTTV5Sg&amp;index =1&amp;featu re=plcp" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDXQ-hKiTR8&amp;list=UUiWlos7dinfTIyhqTTTV5Sg&amp;index =1&amp;featu re=plcp">

Blog Entries

I thought the intro sequence was overlong, but credit to you for introducing the people and giving it a natural beginning. I guess you couldn't think of a natural end and so went for the "faulty transmission" otion. This wasn't out of keeping with the editing/music so that's fine (if a bit of a cop=out). Your ident (2:32) is unreadable!
    But overall I thought this was a reasonable job. Nicely edited with excellent attention to matching the cuts and clips to the music. A few of the shots were not perfect, but what this really brought home to me was one way to take this to a higher level is a shallower depth of field. Throughout, the background is as crisp as the talent and it would be really nice to separate them more. But, of course, that takes equipment and money. So, given what you've got, I'd give it 3/5.
    If you shortened it by tightening the intro and loosing all the shots that aren't really good I'd give it 4 (and 4.5 for the editing). Well done.
    Tim

I think Tim is being very generous to you. I didn't think it was very good. You have fallen into the trap of making up for poor footage by adding too many effects. One thing I've found recently is the more work you have to do in editing the worse the original footage is. (Unless you're working on special effects)

It was over a minute before the intros were over this is a third of the video gone before it starts. Then when the "action" started a lot of it wasn't very skillful. Apart from dodging the car at 1:23 mins Then you put that annoying bit about connection lost etc. The text at 2:33 was unreadable and the end wasn't done very well.

This is harsh criticism but if no one tells you, you might waste another year making this type of video rather than really thinking about how to make them better, learning how to use the camera better, framing etc...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think Tim is being very generous to you.
    Heh heh . How out of character of me, eh?

I was certainly less than my usuall critical self with regard to the shots, but these shots aren't easy to get and I thought they were at least on a par with most of those we see. In fact they were better because we were't treated to back to back fish-eye lens shots which seem to dominate "street" activity videos. There were a few FX in there but in the main I saw a lot of cuts which I thought were sympathetic to the music and far more creative than we usually see, and I thought that deserved encouragement.

But you're right, Midnight. Better shots in the first place would make a lot of difference.
    Tim

Thanks for all the help guys,
    ive just gotten into sport filming and ive been experimenting with the edits and other stuff etc
    With the "annoying bit" < connection lost > its because im trying to have somewhat of a theme to the video (Glitch)
    ANd also yeah i reviewed the video the other day and realized how long the intro actually was
    Also on another not, i enjoy the,for lack of a better word, cinematograpghy intro, but appose to my friends who dont fancy that i needed more appealing content to other viewers, so they stay entertained
    All in all thanks for the critisim
    Ps this is also my first year using a dslr so im still warming up to quick moving shot while staying focused

[QUOTE=

But you're right, Midnight. Better shots in the first place would make a lot of difference.[/QUOTE]
    I am also looking into purchasing a steady cam very soon

Good on you for being a good sport about a harsh critique. I hope you take on board what has been said and can move forward. It will be interesting to see the improvements.
    I'd recommend having a look at a few well made videos on this subject and see what it is that makes them good. Then you will have an idea of the type of shots and how to frame them that will set your videos on fire, so to speak.

so one question, would you suggest getting rid of all the "glitching" crap and fast cut scenes that are made to fit the music and just keep full scenes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPURLING View Post
    so one question, would you suggest getting rid of all the "glitching" crap and fast cut scenes that are made to fit the music and just keep full scenes?
    At a guess:
    Me: no
    Midnight: Yes
    Tim

That's right Tim, this is only because I sometimes have to watch videos with a glitchy internet and I can't always tell if it's my computer or the video that's jumpy/jerky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast