Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For New Video Camera

Default Need New Camera - Sony Broke

Hello,
    My Sony Handycam from about 4 years ago just bit the dust.
    I didn't like it that much anyways because it shot in HD but I couldn't burn it in HD and the format was proprietary. As a result I a now looking at Canon, simply because I dont want to have to deal with any problems.

I am looking to spend anywhere between $800 and $1200.

Here are my Demands(lol)

1. It be compact
    2. Shoot and burn in high def
    3. Be easy to transfer files
    4. SOUND, the sound is very important to me as I shoot musicians. I would like very good sound and in stereo.
    5. Easy to use
    6. Do well in darker environments

I guess thats it. I just had such a problem with the Sony I don't want to have to worry about anything. I am not a pro and don't know how to fix delacing problems and whatnot. I just want to plug it into FCP or Premier and it look great from start to finish.

I would greatly appreciate any and all comments
    I don't really know whats good and not. Often its not till after I buy something that I realize the problems.
    Here is what Ive been looking at.

Canon VIXIA HF G10 Camcorder - 1080p - 2.37 MP

Canon LEGRIA HV40 Camcorder - 1080p - 2.96 MP

Thanks again for the help
    Last edited by EdMarx; 04-30-2012 at 12:08 AM.

The G10 is nearly twice the price of the other camera... but it is the audio side you need to look at, since Audio is nearly always the last thing to be considered by the buying public, bless 'em.

For some more money Canon offers XLR-inputs and dual SDHC slots, either as security copy, or for longer shoots I guess...

I use a stills Sony NEX5 which is surprisiingly good using internal mic. ...but you have to spend much more to get an audio input+headphone out. . . . . unless you look to Pana 700 series, which have 3.5mm jacks. Once you are free of the camera, then the mic is more-or-less up to you. I mention the NEX5 which outputs 1080i and interlacing has never been an issue . . . but then DVD's are much lower quality, so I guess Sony Vegas Studio just takes what it needs.
    Interchangeable lenses are useful as you can sometimes pick up f/1.8 lenses, which mean you can film in light which you might trip over things!

Have you considered a Canon DSLR? - then you can change lenses as finance allows.(and have proper focus-scales)
    Nikon also do DSLRs with movie-mode and you may find the stills are in demand, so an extra revenue-stream (since you are there and by the end of the session, regarded as friendly).

Blog Entries

Just to add to vidmanners comments, I'd seriously consider divorcing the sound from the camera and recording to a digital audio recorder. Use the sound on camera for synchronisation only.

You can record from the desk or via mics. You won't then have the issue of the sound changing as you move the camera around.

If budget allows you could also put a mic on the camera and mix the two - this makes some sense with acoustic instruments where (say) the violin becomes more prominent in the mix when your image is of the violinist, but doesn't work so well with amplified music,where the sound of the lead guitarist comes from a Fender Twin Reverb 20 feet away from whee the camera is pointing.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'd seriously consider divorcing the sound from the camera and recording to a digital audio recorder. Use the sound on camera for synchronisation only. .
    Im not a professional and need a compact camcorder. I have all the equipment I need to do a great audio recording. Separate audio is always an option. But I want the best possible audio out of a camcorder without the separate audio in case I only use only the camcorder. That being said, it sounds like you guys highly recommend external mics.

What do peop0le think about this.
    Canon XA10 Camcorder - 1080p - 2.37 MP

Or does any suggestions on a camcorder that will suit my needs. If I need an external mic then whats a good camera around my price range.
    Also, if there is a hi-def camcorder that does good audio I would love to hear suggestions.

I have been looking and like vidmanners said, I cant find much about the audio.

Blog Entries

I hate to sound pessimistic, but video editing is often best described as a black art. You may well find that there isn't a solution that ticks all those boxes. And a lot if your editing frustrations may have been more to do with your software and hardware (pc) rather than your video camera.

I strongly advise that you Research these areas as well as a camera, particularly if you're buying one of an AVCHD flavour. Before you decide on a camera, find out whether your pc is up to the task. I recommend you download trials, and try out sons sample footage (you can download some from the forums)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I hate to sound pessimistic, but video editing is often best described as a black art. You may well find that there isn't a solution that ticks all those boxes. And a lot if your editing frustrations may have been more to do with your software and hardware (pc) rather than your video camera.

I strongly advise that you Research these areas as well as a camera, particularly if you're buying one of an AVCHD flavour. Before you decide on a camera, find out whether your pc is up to the task. I recommend you download trials, and try out sons sample footage (you can download some from the forums)
    I have the post equipment I need.

I have a mac and a pc, both have Masters collection cs5 but for video I use Final Cut Pro.

The main thing is I dont know much about cameras. This is kind of what Im trying to get out of this thread. I know there is digital tape. There is internal hard drives, SD cards.

I would prefer not to have the tape unless you guys think I should get it. I have read reviews but bottom line is I trust you people (actual users and professions) more than someones blog.

The last link I posted is AVCHD. The Cannon. Do you advise against this. Like I said Im not a pro and dont plan on being one. But I do want to take good videos, easily. I am very familiar with audio editing(at least I was a few years back). But not with cameras

What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for all the replies I really appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdMarx View Post
    I have the post equipment I need
    This is at odds with your opening post. Your experience suggests that you struggled to edit your previous camera's video. Before recommending a new camera, and assuming the hardware is a constant, I would like to understand the root cause of this issue. What was the model of the Sony? The only proprietary format I can think Of is microDV, which was SD. I never like to assume that buying new equipment will solve a problem. It's often a combination of events that cause the issue.

This is at odds with your opening post. Your experience suggests that you struggled to edit your previous camera's video. Before recommending a new camera, and assuming the hardware is a constant, I would like to understand the root cause of this issue. What was the model of the Sony? The only proprietary format I can think Of is microDV, which was SD. I never like to assume that buying new equipment will solve a problem. It's often a combination of events that cause the issue.
    I use Final Cut X. When you you say I needed equipment im kind of assuming software and maybe just the medium to transfer the files. I guess I didnt have that much of a problem I have an app that converts .mts to .mov and then from there I put it in Final Cut.

I cant help but think converting it through this cheap app takes some of the quality away. My main problem with the sony was the ability to shoot in high def but not burn in hi def. But again its an older camera. 5 or so year old Sony Handicam. And I'm sure you have to convert all files coming from any camera to .mov or .mp4 if putting in Final cut?!?!

Bottom line is, regardless of my last camera issues or non-issues, I just want a good camera. Well, considering my price. I don't want to spend $1000 and find out that it doesn't do something like burn in hi def. Or the audio sucks. This is why I am here. You guys(assuming) have tons of experience with cameras. I'm sure you have bought quite a few and over the years found out which ones are pretty much standard and are user friendly and which ones are a pain in the ass to deal with. I realize, especially for my price range, I'm not going to get something that does everything.

I don't just record bands but I want the ability to do nice audio without an external mic if I choose to. I realize that if I want GREAT audio I need an external mic and preferably a many mics one many tracks completely separate from video.

As all of you are aware though, all of the equipment in the world does not equal a good camera guy and a good editor. On that note, thinking back, my only real problem with conversion (I think) was the squiggly lines once I converted. This is completely operator error Im sure. My old neighbor told me it was a "delacing" issue.

Do you like that camera I posted? The last one?

Blog Entries

The simplest workflow (from camera to blu ray) would be: film - transfer - import - edit - encode and burn. Premiere cs5 handles AVCHD without conversion, and has templates for authoring blu ray. The above workflow will work fine on a decently spec'd machine.

The choice of camera is a personal thing. For me, the feel an ease of use is a key factor. The design of the now ancient canon xm2 enabled me to work efficiently in hand held for example, whilst the xl2 I owned gave me a rock steady shot with luscious quality. Both would now be considered old hat. I currently use a canon 550d DSLR. As much hrough budget and space constraints as any other reason.

For what it's worth, I would chose two brands that you trust based on reviews and feedback (from the above, you would probably guess I would say canon). Then narrow ths down to price range, and select only cameras which take SD cards (I like to be able to have a pack of cards with me). Finally, choose one based on look and feel - pick the camera up and try them out. And then you have the ideal camera for your budget.

The simplest workflow,,,.
    I just noticed none of my links posted.

Thanks so much for the reply. Im with you.

I have a DSLR and want a camera. Its more of a family camera that anything else

What do you think of this (crossed fingers hoping it posts)

Canon XA10 Camcorder - 1080p - 2.37 MP

EDIT: I guess they did post just doesnt show URL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast