Thread: 'The Spark' - an alternative outcome to the cold war

Default 'The Spark' - an alternative outcome to the cold war

The Spark - YouTube

If you have time please check it out, took about a month from start to finish, thanks

Nice one fellas, apart from a couple of FX you didn't quite pull off (green screen) I thought you did a terrific job with this.

Well done.

Wow ! looks fabulous, nicely edited good sound and good foley. watch your attention to detail ....we're informed at the beginning its 1979. The Hitachi TV with stereo speakers is more 90's than 70's and the music on the girls headphones at 3 minuets is definitely more 80's than 70's and what about the modern cars at 3 minutes ? ....im nit picking. i think it could do with a minuet taking out to up the pace a little but all in all, very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Wow ! looks fabulous, nicely edited good sound and good foley. watch your attention to detail ....we're informed at the beginning its 1979. The Hitachi TV with stereo speakers is more 90's than 70's and the music on the girls headphones at 3 minuets is definitely more 80's than 70's and what about the modern cars at 3 minutes ? ....im nit picking. i think it could do with a minuet taking out to up the pace a little but all in all, very enjoyable.
    Yes your right there I could of paid more attention to detail with this. Thanks very much for the feedback

Blog Entries

Great effort - very nice.

I really liked both looks and the way you usedthem for the present/6 hours ago (although this technique will forever be associated with "The Matrix"). I particularly liked your transitions between the two. It was let down a little by having actors who were a bit too young, but hey - what are you meant to do (I have the opposite problem - all my actors are too old)

Given the superb attention to detail generally, it meant that some things which might otherwise not have been noticed stuck out like a sore thumb.

Adding to enc's comments, the thing that for some reason stuick out for me was the phone - seen at 0:21 and later in the film would not have been around in quite that style in 1979.

The "TV" effect looked cheap. Cartoons have/had that effect - not real (UK) TVs.

You would not have a news flash about something which happened yeasterday at 1pm (unless the flash was about some further development - in which case you'd start it along the lines of "Futher developments about yesterdays explosion .... )

The shot at 3:08 was a great idea, follow the girl with the headphones into the scene as a lead in to the protagonist. But your cameraman missed him! This needed to be reshot. What started as a good idea ends up with amateurish hosing.

Finally I didn't like the changes of aspect ration. All this deos is remind the viewer we are watching a film and thus disengages us from the story.

Harsh? Maybe. But you so nearly mnailed it, it is worth going the extra mile.
    Tim

Well thanks very much for the feedback, had to use family and friends as i don't have any money! but I get what you mean. It was my first proper short film, but again you are right with some of the details. At 3.08 we had several re attempts and then the lighting completely changed and just looked strange, I was dis sapointed with the 2nd half of it, but again this was my first short for fun really. Thanks again for the feedback!