Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamer Progamer - short (test) film

1. Default Lamer Progamer - short (test) film

Greetings and salutations everyone. I really like it here, people are active and feedback is priceless. Specially for those like me that are just starting with film.
    Here is my 2nd test film. Unfortunatelly, it was created before I heard great advices from you guys but still...

I call this one; "Lamer Progamer" and it is a gaming - inspired short. There is not much of a story in this one cause I still have a lot to go learning to operate my new camera and my modest filming capabilities before I endeavour to make a film with a greater story.

Here it is:

Glhf

Blog Entries

I liked it. Nice punchline which I wasn't expecting.

The music was perfect and I liked the balance with the ambient audio of the keyboard tapping. It was very clever really as you had to put the idea of what was happening on the subjects computer screen into the viewers head without showing it.
    This again shows the power and importance of music and sound. The headphones were essential to the plot as tehy explain why we hear nothing of the SFX from the game.

Of course that music and sound together with the shots of someone franically tapping away at the keyboard/mouse could equally well have been a high tech thriller so making sure that the domestic surroundings were visible and having the word "Gamer" in the title was also necessary to ensure that the viewer got the right idea.

If all of this was intentional on your part, then fantastic - you clearly know how to build a scenario.
    If it was subconsious - equally fantastic - you obviously have a talent.
    If it was all luck rather than judgement - then also fantastic- you've just learnt something! (As I did, just putting these thoughts down)

Almost certainly it was a tad long, with several shots basically being repeats of earlier ones. Repeat angles are OK if something different is happening, ie if it's during a conversation so different lines are being spoken, or the plot has developed in some other way such that the repeat shot makes sense, but in a montage where just the same action is being repeated, be very careful of oversuse.
    I liked a lot of teh shots, my ain disappointment being that the shot which begins at 0:06 duidn't change focus to the gamer's left hand when it came into play at around 0:09. But that may well simply have been an artistic decision you took.
    Tim

Spot on Tim. Having different things happening in the repeated shots would have been better. For example later in the video he could become more crossed or have beads of sweat dripping or what ever you can think of. BUT like Tim said you have done a good job with this.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I liked it. Nice punchline which I wasn't expecting.

The music was perfect and I liked the balance with the ambient audio of the keyboard tapping. It was very clever really as you had to put the idea of what was happening on the subjects computer screen into the viewers head without showing it.
    This again shows the power and importance of music and sound. The headphones were essential to the plot as tehy explain why we hear nothing of the SFX from the game.

Of course that music and sound together with the shots of someone franically tapping away at the keyboard/mouse could equally well have been a high tech thriller so making sure that the domestic surroundings were visible and having the word "Gamer" in the title was also necessary to ensure that the viewer got the right idea.

If all of this was intentional on your part, then fantastic - you clearly know how to build a scenario.
    If it was subconsious - equally fantastic - you obviously have a talent.
    If it was all luck rather than judgement - then also fantastic- you've just learnt something! (As I did, just putting these thoughts down)

Almost certainly it was a tad long, with several shots basically being repeats of earlier ones. Repeat angles are OK if something different is happening, ie if it's during a conversation so different lines are being spoken, or the plot has developed in some other way such that the repeat shot makes sense, but in a montage where just the same action is being repeated, be very careful of oversuse.
    I liked a lot of teh shots, my ain disappointment being that the shot which begins at 0:06 duidn't change focus to the gamer's left hand when it came into play at around 0:09. But that may well simply have been an artistic decision you took.
    Thank you.
    To be honest I didn't expect such an overall positive critique. Specially not for my 2nd short film wich I also classify as a test film.
    Regarding intention, subconciousness and being lucky getting the results, I will admit it was combination of three. Let me clarify;

Intentional part:
    Music played a huge part in the building of tention, action etc. It also directed the way scenes are cut and their lenght frequency toward the climax. It is intentionally integral part of "Lamer Progamer". No scenes are repeating, only the camera angle was the same. Too small differences between action on the screen in those scenes does make them appear too similar. This is an aspect I didn't think of before you mentioned it. Seems logical and I'm taking notes for my future projects. Regarding the shot from 0:06-0:09; I was filmin my self so there was no one that could change focus on my left hand. That was the thing that bugs me too about that scene. The only shot I had help with was the sliding shot that reveals that person is actually playing Pong and not a complex strategy game as, say, Starcraft..

Subconscious part:
    I made no script for this short film. I had a basic story outline, plot and an idea of taking somethin serious and turning it on it's head and thus making it ridiculous.

Lucky part:
    I just wanted to make another short film and I rushed the thing as much as "The Box". I just threw my selt in there. Since I'm not experianced filmmaker, I caracterize my self as a noobie in this field so good results maybe combination of luck and some talent (if I possess such a thing).

Blog Entries

Thanks for the insight. You have the benefit of not knowing much and therefore not overthinking what you're doing. I hopeyou don't get too bogged down in what you should be doing or the technicalities as you learn - it can stifle creativinty.

As for:
    Quote Originally Posted by DerelictMedia View Post
    and an idea of taking somethin serious and turning it on it's head and thus making it ridiculous.
    Some might say it doesn't need to be made to look ridiculous
    Tim

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Spot on Tim. Having different things happening in the repeated shots would have been better. For example later in the video he could become more crossed or have beads of sweat dripping or what ever you can think of. BUT like Tim said you have done a good job with this.
    Thank you Midnight Blue. I was thinking about making "the gamer" more frustrated, sweating, biting nails as the story pregresses but then I didn't want to present stereotypical view of the gamer as they were regularelly portrayed in Hollywood movies. Gaming is a profession now and professional gamers make loads of money playing games. They work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They get salary playing for their pro teams, they have huge sponsors, play on turnaments that have big cash prices, and they stream their game playing live and a good gamer can have up to 10-15.000 people watching their stream at a time. Streming is generating a lot of money too.

I often watch these turnaments such as Mayor League Gaming in USA, Global Star League in Korea, Dreamhack in Europe and I observe the behaviour of these gamers. They rearly show any emotion when they play, they look extreemely concentrated and chilled out. This is the way they really appear and that is how I wanted to portray this gamer. Wow this post got long lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DerelictMedia View Post
    Gaming is a profession now and professional gamers make loads of money playing games. They work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They get salary playing for their pro teams, they have huge sponsors, play on turnaments that have big cash prices, and they stream their game playing live and a good gamer can have up to 10-15.000 people watching their stream at a time.
    I think it's time I left the planet. This is absurd.
    Tim

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think it's time I left the planet. This is absurd.
    I think it's wierd too but this is the world we live in today.. And, oh yeah, get load of this; "120.000 spactators watching Starcraft LIVE match at athletics stadium in Seoul - Korea" - this in 2008. The game has it's 24/7 - TV channel that shows matches casted by professional casters just like any other sport. This is absurd but true.. Expanding and fast-growing industry

Blog Entries

So let's be quite clear about this:

Once upon a time people fought for survival.
    Then they fought for sport.
    Then people wanted to watch people fighting for sport - but this was a bit far removed from the actual fighting.
    So we invented gaming, where we could pretend to fight.
    And now people pay to watch people pretending to fight.

EDIT: In retrospect, i guess this is no different to people watching chess grandmasters.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-02-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Tim

i really didnt know what we were building up to but i ceratinly wasnt expecting that LOL !

great little film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast