Thread: Sam Foster | Film/Game Composer!

1. Cool Composer/Recent College Grad | Sam Foster

I am Sam Foster and I'm a recent college grad! I've scored a TV PSA ad, a documentary, animations, and video games. I'm inspired by numerous film and game composers. I compose in a wide array of styles: electronic, ethnic, classical, jazz, rock, etc. For more info and to listen to my showreels, visit my website: www.samanthafoster.net
    Last edited by titanicpiano14; 06-02-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Hi Sam, I tried the link, and the opening photo was terrible. Then the 'enter' link eventualy started (I spent the time waiting and wondering if this was some sort of virus site), and so it started with a photo of a 'crab?' followed eventualy by some generic drama music.

Not really the impression I would be hoping for. I would suggest a much simpler site with the menu items (that eventualy showed up) presented immediately. I'm not sure what you were attempting here, but it doesn't give a good impression at all.

3. Default

Okay - website bug fixed.

Erm no, starts off with a very badly lit and posed photo of you, telling me you are a designer???

Then tells me it's loading you (why do I care?), flips to another awful picture of you in front of a housing estate, then presents a really good menu with your pic on it, but then 1 second later it's back to crabs and cucumbers, alongside the most confusing menu items I have ever seen.

I don't know who is doing your website, but I have been involved with websites since they began, and this is called 'gilding the lilly' - trying to look impressive without any concern for the user. This person is using you, although no doubt impressing you, but taking your money. In web design you have to distance yourself from looking at yourself, and think about your audience.

A decent designer would care about your audience, this person just wants to show off, and they are messing with your image, and your business, in the process.

You look fascinating, and I'd love to hear your work, but I can't get past this.

Find a modest designer, get the basics right, then go for bells and whistles.

In my professional opinion, this person needs their ass kicking; and if you value yourself, you need some cheques refunding,

I agree with Stripe on this.

"Click to Enter Site" That's old hat now went out years ago. The Website is presenting yourself as a Designer. Well there is no WOW! Factor here as to entice me into using your services. The youtube videos have a very low view count for over a years worth. And the Animations were, I thought awful.

Your selling yourself way to short. Like Stripe says if your really serious about this, get a professional Web designer. The Website is your shop window to the world. See it like a dressed shop window in your high street. If its sloppy and uninteresting they will not come. Build it properly and they will.

6. Default

I use Dynamod Portals as my provider. A number of people use Dynamod Web Portals. Until I can afford a professional designer - I'm sticking with Dynamod for now. The html version of the site skips over the page opener and looks a little different than the flash version of the site: Samantha Foster | Composer

I can take out some of the pics of the crab and stuff. All of the photos of me are at a Rhapsody Edition Steinway inside of a theater - right now, these are the best photos I've got, until I can get some professional photos taken.

As for the YouTube videos - I use niche marketing - I'm scoring another game project now because the developer saw my piano rendition of Ecco Tides of Time and I got to talk on the phone with someone at a major game company for advice because of my Outlaws piano cover. My aim isn't to get millions of hits on YouTube. Once I break in, I'll be taking down my YouTube site.

Once I break in, I'll be taking down my YouTube site.

Think carefully about this. Google owns Youtube. Having a well presented presentation is the first thing. You can then create a link to your website from the description. Then create a good keyword rich description as much information as you can. sell yourself, your product, your service. Then fill in the relevant keyword tag section. Google and Youtube will index this information so your video and website will show up in keyword search terms. Getting this part right should get you way ahead of the competition. Don't be to worried about getting millions of hits its not likely to happen.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Once I break in, I'll be taking down my YouTube site.

Think carefully about this. Google owns Youtube. Having a well presented presentation is the first thing. You can then create a link to your website from the description. Then create a good keyword rich description as much information as you can. sell yourself, your product, your service. Then fill in the relevant keyword tag section. Google and Youtube will index this information so your video and website will show up in keyword search terms. Getting this part right should get you way ahead of the competition. Don't be to worried about getting millions of hits its not likely to happen.
    I have better luck getting offers off of YouTube than my website or online forums. Most of the offers I get off YouTube is crap and I ignore them. But every once in awhile, I get an interesting offer. I blog on my website and only get some hits due to phrases that people search for in sites like Google. But, the majority of stuff I get is due to a YouTube video I put up. I'm hoping that the unannounced game project I'm working on becomes a hit - I have to land a project that puts me on the map, either a game that becomes a huge hit like Angry Birds or manage to work on some kind of commercial TV/film project that's seen by lots of people. There are probably more commercial games produced than hit films. I think YouTube videos also show up better in search results. Once I become established, like become the next Jack Wall (a famous game composer), then I won't need the YouTube site anymore.