Thread: The Avenger - One of our first tries at melee combat

Default The Avenger - One of our first tries at melee combat

Hello there. This is one of our first tries at doing melee combat in short film. Turns out it's not as easy as it looks and it's hard to get authentic feel into it. If you have any tips on the subject, I'd be glad to hear it.

This scene was part of a short film, this particular scene features man dubbed Avenger facing those who have wronged him in the past.

The Avenger - Quest For Redemption - YouTube

Thanks for watching.

Blog Entries

One of the best ways to find out how to do something is to give it a go and see what problems you had. So well done for that.
    I've never done this sort o action scene or even given it any thought so take or leave this as you feel fit - these are just a couple of observations.

I didn't think it was too bad at all (leaving aside the exposure issues and the fact you'd got the camera on autoexposure which caused distracting "bloom").
    You'd clearly choreoraphed teh action rather than thrown together a number of random shots and in the early part there's lots of good fast cutting as well as diffferent camera angles.
    ... yet the whole thing seems to lack a bit of excitement.

I think the first issue is that a lot of the moves seem to stop immediately after the action. I suggest you try to choreograph not just the move but follow it through - you won't use the follow through in the edit, but it will look much more like the action continues. I'd also suggest some even more acute angles, more close ups and some extreme close-ups. This is one instance where not every cut has to follow the 180 degree rule. Indeed breaking the rule adds confusion in the viewers mind and this can be desirable when trying to create action.
    Tim

I suggest you try to choreograph not just the move but follow it through - you won't use the follow through in the edit, but it will look much more like the action continues.
    That's a good point Tim, I remember the punch seen in Street songs. I forgot to tell the actor what to do after the punch so he just stood there looking like a lemon. I think this could still be rescued, during the action try doing your cuts a frame or two or three earlier, this will take away the "staged look" of the moves.

Nasty end shot , blood squirting up on lens.
    I appreciate this is hard to do and look realistic ...... I found it a little staged to come across as unrehearsed/realistic.
    Wasn't too keen on environment where the action took place.
    I liked the character with the mask and some good use of camera angles.

Again I realise this is a lot harder than it looks (ie) shooting a realistic fight scene so good for you for giving it a go.

Agreed, good points from Tim. The lighting conditions were truly against us and our normal camera operator (me) was the guy portraying the masked Avenger, so the settings were not exactly right. It was also burning hot back then, summer day and almost 30 celcius, so I couldn't even think straight in that waterproof outfit... Should have supervised the camerawork more.

Slimbob is also quite right on the point considering environment. The room we used was good for the scene that came before the fight, but it was bit narrow and cumbersome when swinging a cane and trying to get good camera angles. I guess that's what you get when using simple living rooms as stages for combat.

Thank you all for your feedback, I think we can do better in the future.

Good job guys ..... look forward to seeing your next fight video