Thread: Connecting 2nd hand canon xm2 to computer

1. Default Connecting 2nd hand canon xm2 to computer

hi all
    I have just taken the plunge to start some video footage for my business, in an attempt to obtain a half decent result i have just bought a 2nd hand canon xw2. Any advice would be great, particularly how to connect it to my pc??? The manual says connect a dv lead from one to the other but there is no socket on the pc for the dv lead?

Blog Entries

The connection is also known as FireWire. If you don't have one, yiu'll need to open up your pc and install a pci card.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    The connection is also known as FireWire. If you don't have one, yiu'll need to open up your pc and install a pci card.
    Thanks for the reply
    where do you advise that I take the comp to for them to sort it? Will pc world deal with it do you think?

Blog Entries

Yes, even they could do it! It's really easy and you can do it yourself (literally take the cover off, take out the "blanking" plate at the back of the PC, slot in the card & reassemble) but I can understand your reluctance to do it. A firewire card should cost you 10-15. try to get on with a TI (Texas Instruments) chip as these are (apparently) more universal.
    Tim

Agree with that, I recall I got a mini-CD with the appropriate install driver . . . . (OS Win7) seemsed to install OK.

However, I suggest you make sure it's a PCI card - i.e. NOT a PCI express (with narrow contact strip). Also these cards witll offer both 4-wire and 6-wire (ie with power connections) - worth having both types - Also make sure your camera fits the other end of the cable they supply.
    (The reason is that PCI express slots are (usually) few in yr PC and should be kept free for later high-speed needs (e/g/ external Sata (eSATA), or USB3, etc.
    Firewire isn't so fast that PCI can't cope, since the camera tape is running "real-time".