Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD from Premiere

Default DVD from Premiere

G' morning all, and what a happy morning it as we're through to the playoffs a week Monday. But I digress...

My son downloaded an .avi file of a commercial movie (don't ask...) and asked me to convert it to DVD so he can play it on a set-top player.

So I imported the .avi file into Premiere. No problem. However, weirdly, when I transferred the .avi file to the timeline, it looked as if there was no sound in the sound track (i.e. no little black squiggly line - pardon the technical jargon). Sure enough, when I played the file from the timeline, it played just fine - but no sound.

However, when I moved the .avi file from the project window to the left hand 'screen' (i.e. the one to the left of the screen that plays the timeline) it played fine, with sound.

Anyway, for the price of a DVD I thought I'd try to export it - but sure enough, the encoded DVD had no sound.

So: what's going on? If anyone can explain - and also provide a fix - that would be wonderful. TIA.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Not seen this myself and can offer no direct solution I'm afraid. But...

Have you tried seperating the sound from the video using somethign like Audition. i.e. capture sound from video and save as a seperate WAV file and then import that into Premiere too. Or...

Have you tried creating your DVD in Encore, importing the avi directly. That might help also.

Thanks Alan. I'll definitely try the latter - the former fills me with dread in terms of a) I really haven't messed with Audition, and b) syncing the video with the sound in the final output file.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton
    syncing the video with the sound in the final output file.
    ...will be really easy because it's exactly the same length as the source video and so can be lined up easy.

But if you have it I recommend everyone to find and spend some real time with Audition and play with the noise reduction tools. There are some great gems in there. Like take a voice over and change it so it sound like it's coming from a telephone receiver.

Woo-hoo - sounds great. But I've only ever had time to find out 0.00001% of what Premiere will do, 0.000001% of what Encore will do and 0.000001% of what Photoshop will do: it may be a while till I get to Audition... (where do you guys find the time?)

Oh, and I forgot about the 0.00000% of what After Effects will do...

Mr. Mills, you are a star, a hero, a giant among men. Here's the poop. Tried your Plan B first, but couldn't get Encore to import the .avi. The problem was almost certainly to do with the presets - they're for 4:3 PAL, and what I was trying to import was 16:9 PAL, and Encore was telling me it could only import a file that had X x Y pixels and my .avi file patently wasn't that. However, I couldn't find a way of setting up the Encore project so it would accept my .avi file, so I gave up on it.

Desperate times call for desperate measures - so I fired up Audition. The knack with this stuff, as we all well know, is knowing what the right key words are to search for in the Help files. I thought I wanted to 'extract' some audio, but Audition only associated 'extracting' with CD audio. But finally, I chanced upon 'import' and found the option to import sound from an .avi file.

The process was 100% painless. I unlinked the video and audio file in Premiere, substituted the new audio file, relinked them, rendered them (did I really need to do that?), exported them to DVD (boy did that seem to take an inordinately long time) and, from a brief couple of minutes with it this morning before leaving home, it seems to have worked - and lip synch appears (I need to watch on a larger screen) as good as you said it would be.

None of which explains, though, why the original .avi file would play fine in the left hand window (preview window?) of Premiere but not off the timeline...

Mr. Mills, you are a star, a hero, a giant among men.
    I like this guy!

OK, then, Mr. Mills - let me capitalise on your feeling of bonhomie... What could/should I have done in Encore to 'make' it import my 16:9 .avi file?

OK, then, Mr. Mills - let me capitalise on your feeling of bonhomie... What could/should I have done in Encore to 'make' it import my 16:9 .avi file?
    The funny thing about this is that there is nothing to do. Admitedly, therer is nothing you can do about Encore requiring specific resolutions of AVI or mpeg2 files but other than that you just import the avi as you would any old asset. If it's a 16:9 clip then all youhave to do is make sure that the timeline you drop it onto has the 16:9 radio button clicked insetad of the 4:3 one in the properties window (normally top right).

There is no concept of importing a widescreen asset or a 4:3 one. the property of interest is that of the timeline you place the asset on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast