Thread: upgrading from prestige Handycam to prosumer , advice please

Default upgrading from prestige Handycam to prosumer , advice please

I want to upgrade my camera from the Sony Cx700 to something more professional.
    I love to the Sony CX700, it did very well at the Nothern lights and the firefly tour we did, the tour lady said that was the first time shed ever seen a tourist get good footage on a camcorder.
    But what I want to know is i spend maybe 2 or even three times the budget of the Cx range (about 1000) can I get something that is significantly better?
    i still want portability and powered zoom.
    Any ideas?

I would say that what your paying for in a "prosumer" camera in not necessarily a better image quality but the ability to manipulate the camera easier with more manual controls like an iris ring, built in ND filters etc... This is not always the case as you might also get to record at higher bit rates which will help to get a better image or it might have a better lens. So having a better camera is not a grantee to getting a better image than a consumer camera especially these days as some consumer camera can produce really good results.

It's more about mastering the use of the camera, so you have to decide what you want to do. I went down the path of getting a "prosumer" camera and I'm pleased I did BUT a couple of years on from getting it, I see people producing stunning pieces with much cheaper equipment. So your asking a very subjective question. We can't get in your head, only you can do that bit.

Good luck.