Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question and apology...

1. Default A question and apology...

Hello. I joined this forum before noticing it is for those who are a lot more serious about the subject of this forum than I have the aptitude or time to ever belong here. Anyway, now that I'm here, I apologetically request some information or suggestions regarding the following: I need to do this one edit in one 'home' video (for someone else, in fact). I need to 'censor' it. Let me explain. I agreed to help a co-worker at the psychiatric hospital where I work who asked me to make a digital copy of an old VHS tape recording, and transfer this to several DVD copies for private distribution (to various co-workers who appear, or know those who appear, in the video'd event). Fine, no problems... until an administration person viewed a copy and noticed a problem: There's a patient who had somehow wandered in and lingered in the background within view of the camera when this video was taken. Now both the law and this hospital's policies are very clear regarding psychiatric patient confidentiality, etc. This patient's identity must be hidden or removed from the video. To accomplish this without deleting several minutes of otherwise valued video footage, would simply be to 'blur out' or 'pixelate' this person's face. Should be easy, right? Problem is my video editing software doesn't feature any tools to do this kind of editing, and I'm not in a position to invest in professional grade/equivalent video-editing software that does. Perhaps if I could know what key words to best use to describe this particular editing function I might successfully Google for and find some freeware program that would allow me to perform this one task. Or, failing that, if I could know what choice of for-purchase software would be most economical whilst suitable for my purpose here, I could at least then address the matter of cost (and/or its defrayment) with the co-worker(s) requesting finished copies of the video.

Any suggestions, advice, feedback (except for deserved expletives) would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

What is the purpose of the video? commercial? Educational? personal?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editore56 View Post
    Hello. I joined this forum before noticing it is for those who are a lot more serious about the subject of this forum than I have the aptitude or time to ever belong here.
    No apology required. We'll welcome anyone here if they have either an interest in developing videomaking as a hobby or profession or if, like you, they have a specific requirement.

The most common method for this is to blur/pixelate the face in a the video. Googling "Blur faces in video" brings up a load of options. Popular commercial programs like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro are easily capable of this and time-limited fully working downloads are available.

Incidentally, in case youre not aware. The first step could be to get the VHS onto your computer. Edit that footage then create the DVDs from that.

Good luck.
    Tim

If you can tell us what editing software you are using it might help us to help you. Putting a blur or "masking out" someone should be pretty simple with most pieces of editing software.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Popular commercial programs like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro are easily capable of this
    Just in case your put off by the pricing of these options, they do reduced feature versions for a lot less money, i.e Adobe makes "Premier Elements" A lot less features, but should be enough for what you need.

Everyone here's still learning, so no worries about posting queries at any level. If you aren't equipped with the gear to do the job, upload somewhere and most members would be happy to blur your choice of face and re-upload. If you're unsure of how to do any connected task, someone will talk you through it.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Just in case your put off by the pricing of these options, they do reduced feature versions for a lot less money, i.e Adobe makes "Premier Elements" A lot less features, but should be enough for what you need.
    Engage brain before typing. I thought "Elements" but typed "Pro". Nevertheless I was suggesting the "free" option of downloading the trial as this is a one-off exercise.
    Tim

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    What is the purpose of the video? commercial? Educational? personal?
    Personal. It's a record of a staff x-mas party which took place 20 years ago.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If you can tell us what editing software you are using it might help us to help you. Putting a blur or "masking out" someone should be pretty simple with most pieces of editing software.

My video editing software is VideoReDo Plus (Version 2. 5. 6. 512). Unfortunately this program provides little functionality beyond the mere cutting and/or splicing of whole video footage. However, before I turned here for help I had downloaded and tried using a couple of freeware editing programs, the key one being, Debug Mode Wax. This program is supposed to be able to do the kind of editing I need to do here. [At least according to this "how to" video at How To Blur Faces In Videos - YouTube .] But I hit a wall trying to get it to work for me. It appears the program is simply not running in my system the way it's supposed to; although not being familiar with the process of what I'm endeavoring to do here I can't be 100% certain the "wall" I've hit is not my own lack of familiarity with the process and the program itself.

This tutorial shows the basic principal of how to do it in any video editing software. Duplicate the video track so there are two tracks with the same piece of video on the time line. Blur the lower track and crop it. I haven't used Wax so can't comment on it but the principle is the same what ever software you use. If you could explain at what part of the process you hit the wall we might be able to hand you a rope. If you are really stuck as Zero said, up load the potion of the footage that needs bluring out to a file share site, point out who needs bluring out and post a link here for someone to do it for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast