Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From the Front Row: ONs

1. Default From the Front Row: ONs

Band: ONs
    Video: Canon Legria handcam & Canon photocamera
    Audio: Rode NT1 (voice on the left), Rode NT1-A (voice of the guitarist), Rode NT5's (guitar) through M-Audio ProFire 2626

I don't know if it's my computer of YouTube but the audio seems badly out of sync. with the images, so I'll check this out again when I get home.

What did stand out is the position of the front facing camera. At the very least the camera should be set at eye level, some would suggest a bit lower, you have it looking down on them. A camera looking down like this would only ever be used to create a specific effect or mood. This makes them look like two naughty school boys being addressed by a teacher. Which is not the image they would like I'm sure.

I like this song and these these guys and think they deserve better.

Blog Entries

This has a less busy background. The expanse of salmon pink is unusual and mcuh better than in your earlier videos. We still see through a windows and are distracted by activity outside. The colour looks off - the artists' flesh tones are rather pink.
    The side vie camera is OK (it could probably be a tad lower) but Midnight is, as usual, absolutely right about the straight-on camera. I realises you've done this so the mouths aren't covered by te mics but it simply looks wrong. A low shot looking up (so lng as it's not pointing directly up someone's nose) a;ways looks better and a 3/4 profile is better still. A shot from somewhere in front of the drums would have been better in my opinion.

Have there two been playing together long? They have the sort of telepathic understanding of each other's phrasing that comes after playing with the same partner for many years. Wonderful!
    Tim

Blog Entries

I've just listemned to them again and a few more samples. I love'em.
    Tim

Smile

I think these guys sing together very well and love the tone of their voices.
    Don't mind the song but appreciate everyone has different tastes.
    I personally would like to hear more.

See they are using rode mics....... I use a rode Nt3 and must admit I am very happy with it for recording my voice (speaking not singing thank god!!!)

Was thinking about the NT2 .....not sure if the improvement is worth the extra outlay ?????

6. Default

Indeed, some sync issues caused by YouTube (during the uploading I got a notice that it might be off sync).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What did stand out is the position of the front facing camera. At the very least the camera should be set at eye level, some would suggest a bit lower, you have it looking down on them.
    I know, and I already got this comment ... After recording everything :p During recording, no one was aware of the principle of filming up instead of down, and we did it to make the faces visible. We'll try not to make this mistake again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I like this song and these these guys and think they deserve better.
    So do I
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This has a less busy background. The expanse of salmon pink is unusual and mcuh better than in your earlier videos. We still see through a windows and are distracted by activity outside. The colour looks off - the artists' flesh tones are rather pink. The side vie camera is OK (it could probably be a tad lower) but Midnight is, as usual, absolutely right about the straight-on camera. I realises you've done this so the mouths aren't covered by te mics but it simply looks wrong. A low shot looking up (so lng as it's not pointing directly up someone's nose) a;ways looks better and a 3/4 profile is better still. A shot from somewhere in front of the drums would have been better in my opinion. Have there two been playing together long? They have the sort of telepathic understanding of each other's phrasing that comes after playing with the same partner for many years. Wonderful!
    Where's the window with distraction? Or are you talking about me behind the iMac? They have been playing together for almost 3 years now, I remember recording them (my first recording :p) using a 2-track interface and 2 SDC's worth 48

I always watch the video before I read the comments.

When I watched the video I was overcome by the joy of these two guys singing such a happy song - I genericaly hate happy songs, but they were so happy I forgave them.

Then I read the comments, and watched again and saw all the flaws.

Sometimes maybe I should just watch the video - I appreciate the critique, but at the end of the day this was a portrayal of a happy moment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vzw FrontRow View Post
    IWhere's the window with distraction? Or are you talking about me behind the iMac?
    You're right. I thought the desk was a window sill - it was sort of lit differently behid it and I thought it was outside. Silly me! Nevertheless an unfortunate distraction.
    Tim

I think Stripe makes a good point, we all seem to be in agreement that the song and duo are very good. So there is a lot right with this video. The sound is very well recorded which is half the job of making a video. So you've got good content and good sound recording. Now just that last little step to up your game with the camera work and you'll be making some quality videos.
    However once you have sorted out the cameras we'll probably start on the editing but one thing at a time.

just wondering what the purpose of this video is ? is it a record of the session or a "music video" if its the former then its OK. if its the latter .... i think you woulkd be better getting out on location and recording some sequences to a playback. there are far to many distractions like the leads hung on the wall behind them, drum kit and general clutter. if you have no alternative but to film here, perhaps try to record at night with some soft/warm lighting a shallow depth of field and some slider action. music style isnty my cup of tea but its nicely recorded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast