Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short films by DerelictMedia

1. Default Short films by DerelictMedia

Hello. This is my very first short film. It is called "The Box". Check it out and decide if it sucks or if it's doable..
    Nothing big, nothing grand, nothing major, just the first test film on my new dslr. Any opinion and advice is aprechiated.

I have more short films comming soon.
    Thanks everyone, cya

look into the filming principles 'filming down the line' and 'crossing the line'. Your shots came from lots of different angles which confused my brain a bit. Unless that was the intention. There wasn't much of a story in it. I'd consider this to be more of a trailer than a short film... but whats it a trailer for... either trailer titles or a story need to be added.

I think what you have done is ok for what it is. Which is basically try and make something out of nothing. Taking a pair of sunglasses out of a box is not a story line. You added the music to give tension to make it more than it is etc.... I guess it's more of a practise piece. I didn't have a problem with the camera angles you used as I thought you did that to create tension but having an understanding of crossing the line and rule of thirds will give you a good point to work on for your next piece, once you have a real story to tell.

It does look as though you over exposed a lot of the shots and had to repair it in post.
    Fuzzy: I don't know what "filming down the line means", and nothing came up in Google for it.

Blog Entries

Hi and thanks for posting.
    I think we've become so used to seeing silky smooth glidetrack shots nowadays that anything less looks decidedly poor, which was the case with the first two shots. There's also a lot of contrast in these shots which means we didn't really get to see the "character" of the box until the shot at 19 secs. Earlier shots of the box seemed a little out of focus to me.
    The shots which follow really highlight the contrast difficulties in this film. The forearms are virtually bleaced out whilst most of the box is so black we cannot make out any detail.
    Then, sin of sins, we see the camer reflected in th shades in the box.
    I also found the cutting of some of the shots together a little "different". Objects would change places and you cross the line several times without any indication that time has passed and this all gives the impression of jump cuts.

Yes, I'm being picky, but a short film like this is not about the plot, it's all about the composition, lighting and camerawork -everything really has to look perfect.

My first suggestion would be t experiment with different sorts of and placements of lights. With a graggy iold box like that you really want something which will show off the age, bring out the colours and the shadows. The box should be lit and in focus, the background should be removed as far as possible (dimmer lighting, out of focus) There definietly shouldn't be the odd chairleg or tableleg creeping into the picture.

This is such a simple film i terms of recreating the action, i think it would be worth experimenting with lighting, and camera positions and shooting it again. Possibly in several different ways.

Oh, and the music was hopelessly "epic". I think you want mystery and suspense, but not like you'r about to discover the lost world of the dinosaurs!
    Tim

5. Default

Thanks. It is just a tiny test film. You speak truth about there beeing not much of a story in this short. I was thinking of an dose of intrigue that would accumilate to reveal, well, nothing actually. As I struggle to learn how to film with a dslr camera, things will improve. Next short film has more story to it. I'll be posting it here, soon.

6. Default

Wow, those are some great advices, I trully appreciate that. As I mentioned it is just a small test film and as you put it - a practise piece since I'm new to dslr filming. About overexposure - direct sunlight would do that to shots. I marely color corrected in post.
    Please do explain "crossing the line and rule of thirds".

8. Default

Wize words. It is absoluttely fine to be picky because If you were not I would get less information about this short and poit is to get opinions so I may improve in my future work. I admit I wasn't considering many of filming aspects since this piece was more about the learning the process then about the plot. Glide shots do look choppy and that is because I don't have adequate tripod head. I have a small camera stabilizer that would give better (perhaps).

Again, thanks, I hope I will improve.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DerelictMedia View Post
    Again, thanks, I hope I will improve.
    If you've got the attitude to listen, practice and experiment, I'm sure you will.
    Tim

sorry, terminology a bit loose today. Filming down the line. You film a wide, then you film the same shot a bit closer and then maybe closer again. Then when you mix them up in the edit, your brain has a reference of that wide shot and can recall the area its within so the object/actor remains in context. Or you can jump cut the shots for a 'shocking reveal!'.
    If you know about crossing the line and are aware there is a line, you can also shoot down the line. Make sense?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast