Thread: How long should 2hrs of HDV edited footage take to export?

Default How long should 2hrs of HDV edited footage take to export?

I'll be making a leap from SD to HD editing soon (gulp)..I am a little nervous as im hearing rendering/exporting can take HOURS. My projects are generally 2hrs long.

My system specs:
    Win7 64bit
    16GB RAM
    i7 2600k processor 3.4GHZ
    2TB HD (RAID0)
    1TB 7200RPM external HD
    Good enough video card, can't recall the exact specs..will check later once at home.

I will be editing using PPro CS5.1

Should I be worried?
    Last edited by shaf; 04-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.

This is a how long is a piece of string question. It all depends on your settings and the amount of changes you have made to the original. If you have done a lot of transitions, colour work etc.....Then add on to that equation how efficient your computer is running, how full your hard disks are, the speed of your disks etc..... Now add in a mixture of mystery and that is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This is a how long is a piece of string question. It all depends on your settings and the amount of changes you have made to the original. If you have done a lot of transitions, colour work etc.....Then add on to that equation how efficient your computer is running, how full your hard disks are, the speed of your disks etc..... Now add in a mixture of mystery and that is the answer.
    I see

Maybe someone who works with HDV can give examples of timeframes?
    Last edited by shaf; 04-13-2012 at 07:53 PM.

My system similar to yours
    To render 100 minutes with no effects took about 30 mins to MPEG2 in Sony Vegas (it uses CUDA)

You shouldn't be worried, your system looks like it packs a fair bit of punch, but Midnight make's some valid points there.

Video Production Services Company UK London

If they employ idiots like you who spam non-related message boards with completely off topic messages, then I don't hold much hope for their future.

Quote Originally Posted by sreenuakkireddi View Post
    This website, Your-employment.comyour employment paves you the way in placing you in the employment you are looking for our motto is the youth’s energy should not be wasted. There are so many opportunities for the youth in all sectors. Undoubtedly we can say all the managements are looking for the skilled .the unskilled need not be disappointed, since this website Your-employment.com will not find you the ways in securing employment but also help you in instilling the confidence in you by showing you the ways to enrich your personality . Your-employment.com
    Video Production Services Company UK London

Moderators, can we lose .... [Edited or I'll be deleting a valid post!]

To OP, I have a somewhat modest system with Win7 32-bit (so only 3.5Gb RAM) and no CUDA graphics card. It's 2-core 3GHz so you can adjust figures... in general HD takes 5x run-time (so clearly, #4 has a fab PC) and a 4hr video took nearly 24 hrs to render, so I guess the x5 Rule was working. Strangely, the PC just kept running with no trouble says something for Win7 and Vegas Studio, eh?.

BTW, welcome to HD NLE.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.