Thread: Which Capture Card Do I Need

Default Which Capture Card Do I Need

Hi,
    I'm new here so I hope this is not too much of a dumb question.

I brought the belkin usb video bus II "thingy" to transfer footage from my analogue cam-corder to pc and then burn to disc in vcd or mpeg format.

I have had this for a year or so now but I always seem to be dropping about 20% of frames during capture.
    I do belive this to be a limitation of the hardware now, so what I really want to know is :-

I wish to capture footage from my analogue cam-corder and vhs video machine without dropping frames and to reproduce it onto cd without loss of quality, if at all possible!

The clips I will capture last no longer than 30 mins MAX!
    and all I really wish to do with them is some simple editing, ie. cutting and maybe some crappy credit title inserts !

The spec of my pc suggests it should be able to handle the captures, it is just the usb which is letting me down.

Thus, I wish to buy a pci capture card which will suit my needs and preferably with bundled s/ware so I don't wast any more time and hair wondering why things aren't going right !

My budget is around 100 stirling

I hope someone can be of assistence and I look forwards to you replies.

Thanks !

Blog Entries

First off, and before you spend any money, make sure your drives are in tip top condition: defrag and delete all and any unwanted files.

I had the same Belkin thingy and didn't experience dropped frames, so I don't think your problem is necessarily intrinsic to your capture device. Like Marc says, there may be some other things to check out before throwing shedloads of cash at the problem. As well as defragging your drives, you may want to ensure that the minimum number of other applications are running while you're capturing.

However, if you're really desperate to spend money, I ended up getting a Canopus ADVC-55 which if you're lucky you can pick up from eBay for around 100 - although new they're only about 130.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

I have tried shutting down all other applications and my H/D is always defraged on a weekly basis !

The software is MGI VideoWave III, could this be the problem ?

also the s-video lead I use is really long so could this be a factor too ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by valandian

The software is MGI VideoWave III, could this be the problem ?
    Depends on how fast it can encode to MPEG and whether the software or hardware encodes. Is there an option to capture in another codec? (I assume it is capturing to MPEG2)

Quote Originally Posted by valandian
    also the s-video lead I use is really long so could this be a factor too ?
    No. The dropped frames is a result of the video not being processed quickly enough in your PC.

Depends on how fast it can encode to MPEG and whether the software or hardware encodes. Is there an option to capture in another codec? (I assume it is capturing to MPEG2)
    Well I'm not actually sure what I'm capturing to, but I'm guessing from your reply that I should be capturing to MPEG2!

I do know there are alot of optoins to choose from when capturing and maybe Ian in Northampton can help me out here!

what codec did you use ? and what were the results ?

I may need a parrot fashion tutoriol here,
    because I'm finding it rather difficult to, first, find the options (there is no file,edit..........menu at the top)
    and second, there are so many options to choose from !

thanks for your help guys

Valandian: unfortunately, it was some while back and I don't really remember. That said, knowing me, if there were default values to accept, I would have accepted them. Note also that the software supplied with my Belkin thingy was Ulead Video Studio, and that's what I used. I was, I'm sure, capturing to .avi and at the time, I didn't have a DVD burner, so was exporting the finished file out to DV tape. The reason I stopped using it and went for the Canopus was that I wasn't really happy with what I was getting in terms of overall image quality. However, I subsequently found that this was more a function of the source VHS than any issue with the Belkin thingy: while the output of the Canopus is superior to the Belkin, it's not hugely visibly superior. So, after all that, I'm sorry to say that the answer is - I really can't help... :(
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Default Question/Suggestion

You don't say whether you have a separate hard drive from your video. If you don't, that may be a part of your problem. You should also consider upgrading your software, maybe trying Premiere or VideoStudio. Good luck!
    There\'s nothing like video editing ... Taking the most boring subject, and making it look exciting ...