Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overenthusiatic parent assists with homework

Blog Entries

Default Overenthusiatic parent assists with homework

OK, so Elise's (7 y/o) Easter homework was to make a leaflet, poster or other presentation about one of the topics they covered last term. And she enjoyed and remembered a lot about The Great Fire of London, but she'd already made a leaflet about that during term time ... so guess what Daddy suggests?

To be fair her homework was tor write the script (and write it out neatly) rather than produce a film. With the exception of one or two gentle pointers all the words and the majority of the ideas are her own. Halfway through her scriptwriting, I realised we were just making Horrible Histories, but so what?

Production values are pretty dire - the keying of the green screen and the micing in particular.(I had access to no lights and rather limited space. A 3mx2m conservatory with the screen against the back wall, the talent in the doorway and me & camera outside. But that's not the point and it's just excuses for laziness.) I had fun doing the backgrounds.

Tim

That was brilliant Tim, I really enjoyed it.

A big well done to all the Stannards especially Elise who is a star.

Oh by the way, you're not the only one who has done this sort of homework. When Little Miss Midnight made her video about Buddy Holly, it made her teacher cry. Result. I'm sure Elise's teachers will love this.

Blog Entries

Thanks Mdnight. But I hope this doesn't make Elise's teacher cry

Buddy Holly at LMMs age? You must be bringing her up well!
    Tim

Buddy Holly at LMMs age?
    I can't take the credit for this, her school did a bit about pop music history covering Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley and the Beatles. BUT I was amazed when the project of choose "a famous person" was given to her and she originated she wanted to do it about Buddy Holly without any arm twisting from me.

What an inventive school homework project you guys............Many Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To be honest I had to watch this a few times Tim to appreciate the fine details as Elise keeps your attention ....what a little star ...so natural and funny/cute as hell!!!!!!!!
    Do I sense a career in media ????
    Tim love your S . Peeps bit your humour had to come through !!!!
    "3 reasons and 1 because they are made of wood"
    Love how Elise says thanks Sam.

Sam are the people doing anything about stopping the fire
    not yet ....... very good Tim

I thought the fire sound effects were good the visual background fire effect was really good Tim especially as you say it was a quick project with limited resources ......
    Who are you trying to kid ...
    It was bloody brilliant.
    Your Peeps costume was funny!!
    And please pass my praise onto your fabulous weather girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!..............Great Hat by the way ...........

My only critism is I feel very sorry for the other kids when Elise shows this in class .....I sense an A+++++++++++++++++

She is lucky to have you guys and of course vice versa.

Made my day Tim after a hard day grafting (gardening ....)

Thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Tim love your S . Peeps bit your humour had to come through !!!!
    "3 reasons and 1 because they are made of wood"
    Love how Elise says thanks Sam.

Sam are the people doing anything about stopping the fire
    not yet ....... very good Tim
    No my humour - I just deliver the lines that were presented to me. They're much funnier than what I would have come up with. I also like the idea of a newscaster saying "You know yesterday I told you that ,whatever>, well here it is"

In a way it's a shame she'll become more literate.

I did add touches of my own, (but not to the script we wanted that to be all her own work) - the dreadful names for the weathergirl and the minister, the use of blowing clouds on the map and my personal favourite (because I like anachronisms) Sam Pepys in a Hi-Viz vest.
    Tim

Sam Pepys in a Hi-Viz vest.
    That was one of my fave bits. Not that the rest of it wasn't great. When I saw it I thought to my self, that is soooo Tim to do that.

Yes Sam Pepys in high viz was very good Tim as it complemented the wig !!!
    So Elise wrote the whole script ............ very good!!!!!
    Your delivery made it funny for me Tim and it looks like Elise has inherited the comic gene even though she doesn't know it yet!!!

Oh yea While I am here MB ....Buddy Holly was a great choice by little Miss M ....

Tim that was hilarious, brilliant job.

It looked to me like Elise is using an Auto cue she presented like a professional. I know we all like to critic our own projects and pull them down but I think you were being a bit unfair to yourself. Even if there where any mistakes or if certain scenes you thought could have been better they blended in well. The background scenes were excellent I thought.

I watched this a couple of times, concentrating on the video as entertainment and no obvious faults flagged up for me. I know we all like to get it perfect first time around but sometimes its easy to go over board and spoil it.

I would like to conclude with "More like this please"

Blog Entries

Thanks CW. You're absolutely right that we can fall into the trap of getting bogged down in technicalities. I flagged up the imperfections because I know full well that I can do considerably better, at least technically. But one of the beauties of working with a 7 year old is it forces you to carry on regardless or you will lose their attention span. If i'd waited until I could have begged, borrowed or stolen the equipment I thought I needed to get the job done, Elise would have lost interest - and even if she hadn't , would the result really have been noticeably better to anyone other than me? I doubt it.

I love the idea you think it looked like she was using an autocue. We toyed with the idea of holding up a big printout of the script, but decided against it (again becase the time spent typing it up might "kill the moment") so she had to learn her lines (which she made a much better jon of than either of her parents.

We're all delighted you enjoyed it. As for your wishes for more like that - well it rather depends what Elise's next school project is. I could see a serieds developing, though

If you're interested in Elise's first role as an actress (and equally dodgy production values) chech out http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...tml#post107936 from 2008
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast